98 won't start

I've got a '98 V-6 Coupe I just purchased. Pull-starts OK, but won't start on its own. Turning the key with clutch in results in a whole lot of nothing. A slight dimming of the lights and a very faint click, but nothing otherwise. Any suggestions? I assumed at first that it's the starter, so I got to work and took the bottom bolt off, but that top one... Some help with that would be appreciated, I can't get to it well at all from underneath the car.

Reply to
Hokuten.Knight

what is the battery voltage ? are the terminals corroded at all?

Reply to
Jada

All those starter top bolts require an extension set just a bit longer than the starter

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

:>I've got a '98 V-6 Coupe I just purchased. Pull-starts OK, but won't :>start on its own. Turning the key with clutch in results in a whole lot :>of nothing. A slight dimming of the lights and a very faint click, but :>nothing otherwise. Any suggestions? I assumed at first that it's the :>starter, so I got to work and took the bottom bolt off, but that top :>one... Some help with that would be appreciated, I can't get to it well :>at all from underneath the car.

I'd assume it's the battery since what you described is how every battery failure behaved on every Mustang [ five at one time...] my family has ever owned.

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

I got it taken care of. Battery was fine, the starter itself was busted. Ended up getting underneath the car and reaching back with socket extenders from up front, and combined with some crowbar application, got it off intact and got a rebuilt one from the local Autozone. Put the new one on and she fired right up.

Reply to
Hokuten.Knight

thanks for reporting back!

Reply to