99-04 Mustang Hood Scoop

When did Ford change the non-functional hood scoops on the Mustang GT's to functional ones (besides the Mach 1).

Reply to
RhB629

Never, the only functional scoops were on the Mach's. The '99 Mustang's did not have a scoop at all, the '00 Spring Feature GT was the only Mustang to have a fake scoop that year, and the '01 - '04 GT's all had the fake scoop.

Reply to
WraithCobra

That's odd. I just went into the garage and looked at my GF's 99 Mustang. It has a hood scoop. I'm not really interested enough to pop the hood to see if it's functional or now. Totally stock, by the way.

Reply to
Dan S

I thought the bullitt had a functional scoop as well. The '99 35th anniversary edition had a scoop for sure, but it wasn't functional. Only the 35th anniversary special edition had the scoop, the regular 99s don't. Erik D. '94 white lightning '01 white GT

Reply to
Erik D.

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:06:55 -0800, "Dan S" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Non-functional. They all where until the Mach.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

It is a 35th Anniversary edition. Nice catch!

Reply to
Dan S

Reply to
BK24

I forgot about the '99 35th GT's and the Bullit's, but those were also non functional.

Reply to
WraithCobra

The '99 Cobras had the nostrils that were open to the under hood area, not functional to the intake. My '98 GT also had the holes in the hood that were open to the under hood area, and the Terminator Cobras have the open vents in the hood. The Mach's shaker scoop is only functional to a point anyway. It is routed to the filter area, but the snorkel from the filter area to the fender is also open which would negate any (if any) ram air effect.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Some useless engineering at work I guess. I think ram air doesn't even really make a difference until you're well over 100mph. I think they tested it on motorcycles. Even there it's probably more of use due to high revving engines.

Rein

Reply to
Tony Alonso

It would have nothing to do with a ram air effect. There's no way any ram air could be generated, the filter is open to the fender as well as the scoop. Even if the scoop could generate ram air, any air not drawn into the filter would blow right past it and into the fender. The snorkel into the fender is a restriction at high rpm's and the additional air allowed to be drawn into the scoop would help. This would be the same as those of us without the scoop who just remove the snorkel tube anyway, which almost doubles the size of the intake before the filter, or run an open filter like the K&N FIPK. I'd bet they'd see a slight power increase at high rpm's during dyno testing in the same manner since the intake path before the filter is doubled with the scoop.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Scoop on the '99 is used to vacuum heat from the engine compartment. That's why is is reversed the way it is.

Reply to
BK24