Alternator upgrade after underpully install

I¹ve purchased underpullys for my ?88 GT and understand there may be some charging issues after the install. I¹d like to replace my alternator with one that will do the job. The ALT installed now is a 75 amp unit and needs to be replaced anyway.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim Dunn

So your question is where do you get one?

Well to tell you I had charg>I¹ve purchased underpullys for my ?88 GT and understand there may be some

Reply to
Sonicmonkey

I put an Accel unit in mine after same change, great alternator - no probs in 55K miles, got it through jegs

Andrew

93 GT c> I?ve purchased underpullys for my ?88 GT and understand there may be
Reply to
Andrew Paule

Alternator upgrade after underpully installIf you dont have charging issues now, try installing the underdrive pulleys without the changing the alternator pulley. This will likely solve any potential problems and cost you nothing.

LJH

95GT

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

What would be the point? The purpose of underdrive pulleys is to decrease crank driven loads, and therefore increase available power. If you get a larger alternater you will dramatically increase the crank load, and cost you power. If you then underdrive the alternater, you get the same load as stock for the same charging capacity. You're right back where you started from, except now you VISA bill is $300 higher than last months. Spend your money where it will do some good.

Reply to
.boB

in article 3f456941$1 snipped-for-privacy@corp.newsgroups.com, .boB at snipped-for-privacy@codenet.net wrote on 8/21/03 5:50 PM:

You are correct. I will get the same load as stock which is what I'm shooting for. If I under drive a stock alternator my available volts will fall bellow what's needed to keep my electrical system juiced. I hate brownouts and especially hate driving at night with insufficient lighting. If I'm missing the boat on this, please educate me.

By the way, $300 for an alternator is a bit steep. Where do you buy parts? I want to make sure I avoid them at all costs. ;-)

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim Dunn

I guess that the only load on your crank is the alternator - I've got a water pump too I put the ford underdrive pulleys on my car the third day I owned it (brand new 93 GT conv, modified a bunch now), got 8hp on the dyno - alternator output was down significantly (22% underdrive on the alternator, 14% on the water pump), and coolant got hotter (15 degrees). I put in an accel alternator(now 400 bucks through jegs- have three in cars now, only alternator I'll run anymore -won't grenade at high rpm, all ball bearing) and a new radiator from ron davis - hp was down 3, temp was down 19 degrees. Moral of the story is that for a grand I got 5hp, a bigger alternator, and a better radiator. These were needed down the road, but unless you are goin to mod your motor hard, I'd spend my money on brakes and suspension, subframe connectors, intake, exhaust, a shifter (yes, everyone who has had a fox or current chassis mustang will eventually put in a new shifter, better now than like me - side of the road, crawl to town, buy one in the morning), then other things that can make big hp.

send your pulleys back if you can unless you like the cosmetics.

Andrew

Jim Dunn wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Paule

Regardless of whether underdrive pullies will be installed I would most definately use this situation to upgrade the alternator to the 130 amp 3G alternator. The factory alternator is an accident looking for a place to happen. Prone to failure as well as total meltdown of the connector these alternators are BAD. The 3G has an internal fan which keeps the alternator cooler and they use a lug terminal for the battery connection. VERY reliable and capable of keeping the battery charged at low RPM's. I have done dozens of these conversions and have yet to have one come back due to failure.

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy