Any Bolt-On Subframe kits?

Most kits I've seen need to be welded. I don't have any weld shops around (that I trust).

One mechanic told me that there are bolt-on subframe connector kits also. I have a 2000 GT convertible that's I'd like to firm up a bit. Can someone recommend a decent kit?

Thanks Mark

Reply to
markg9

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1131116517.010063.147780 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

IN MY OPINION!!! The only reason there ARE bolt-on kits is for people like you. Otherwise, if it were only based on product performance, there wouldnt be any! What does that say to you? Also note that doing a 'vert is different than a coupe, as they already have some stiffening stuff under there.

Why not join a local Mustang club and find out from them where to go to get the subframe's welded on?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Go to a body shop, they will have the proper lift and a tech that can weld them on for you.

Lots of subframes out there, but bolt ons are not recommended.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

The place that's THE Mustang shop closest to me is pretty far and I would have to take a day off work (which I can't afford). So if I read you correctly, the bolt-on kits are inferior? Note, I don't plan to race the car much. Just want to stiffen up the frame since many claim (here) that these kits are a "must-have".

Thanks Mark

Reply to
markg9

"KJ.Kate" wrote in news:HsLaf.28554$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews7.bellsouth.net:

If you research further on this group you will also find that the car MUST be absolutely level and straight when the connectors are installed.

Notwithstanding that the convertible is looser by nature and already has some stiffening installed - WHICH COMPLICATE INSTALLING MOST OF THEM- THAT is enough reason to NOT do it in your garage.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

They *all* need to be welded in - even the bolt-on kits.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

One word;

Dont. Subframes are additions to your cars frame. Your cars frame is not bolted together for very good reason. Subframe connectors really need to be welded in to be of any good. If you can't get weld-ins, I would suggest not bothering at all.

Reply to
cprice

You should check, but I think your 'vert has stock SFC's. They are thin box struts bolted on. They came stock on the '99+ Cobra for sure so there are lot of take off units out there (I have two sets :) ). You should be able to get a set for very little.

But they are pretty lame so it's a lot of effort for very little.

An alternative would be to get a set of shorty Maximum Motorsports or Kenny Brown SFCs and drill them, drill and tap the frame, and mount them like the stock ones. They would be a little stiffer. You wouldn't want to do any road racing with those those :).

Dan

2003 Cobra Convertible With some stuff and things
Reply to
Dan

I wouldn't go THAT far. Bolt-ons are definitely better than nothing at all and will increase the torsional rigidity of the frame. There's nothing wrong with bolt-ons and then having them welded at a later time if you want to eke out that last bit of rigidity. Just make sure that whoever installs them does so on a "roll on" lift so the car is sitting normally on its wheels and level before they tighten down/weld the connectors.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

I've seen the holes drilled in the front and rear subframes for the bolt on kits elongate and crack to point of needing WELDING REPAIR. Why the f*ck would anyone put on bolt on subframes these days is beyond me. They do f*ck all and can actually damage your existing subframe.

Your convert probably already had extra frame stiffening added at the factory. I dunno agout the sn-95/new edge cars, but the 79-93 foxes had extra riveted on frame stiffeners at the underbody seam where the side skins meet the floorpan. These can be installed on non-vert cars for racing where sanctioning bodies require cars remain 'stock' (depending on class perticipating in).

Any reasonably equipped shop can weld in subframes. You preferenably require a drive-on lift, and a competent welder with a 220v mig (stick may work, but someone more experienced with stick welding will need to sound in on this one). As long as the lift is level side to side and corner to corner and your existing unibody is not tweaked, you are good to go to weld on your frames. I've done this myself with excellent success - we even put the car on a chassis alignment jig before and after and it hand't changed a bit. A drive on lift is key, or so I have been told.

Reply to
cprice

How could anyone doubt someone with such an obvious command of the English language....

Using 4-letter words all over the place doesn't make you look like any more of a grown up now than it did when you were in grammar school. So please spare me. If you've got something to say and have the ability to use a computer, surely you can express yourself without such foolishness.

And no, I don't agree with your comment. Bolt-on connectors are fine for street use.

Have a nice day.

Reply to
Ritz

"Ritz" wrote : >

: > Dont. Subframes are additions to your cars frame. Your cars frame is not : > bolted together for very good reason. Subframe connectors really need to : > be welded in to be of any good. If you can't get weld-ins, I would : > suggest not bothering at all. : : : I wouldn't go THAT far. Bolt-ons are definitely better than nothing at : all and will increase the torsional rigidity of the frame. There's : nothing wrong with bolt-ons and then having them welded at a later time : if you want to eke out that last bit of rigidity. Just make sure that : whoever installs them does so on a "roll on" lift so the car is sitting : normally on its wheels and level before they tighten down/weld the : connectors. : : Cheers,

Uhhhh GUYS.... these are UNIBODY cars.......... no frame!

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Cut "frame", paste "unibody". Semantics. But thanks for playing!

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

: : Cut "frame", paste "unibody". Semantics. But thanks for playing! : : Cheers,

Do I get a prize ?

;¬D

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Oh, well THAT changes EVERYthing.....

Reply to
WindsorFox

But, you already got the "bonus plan" when you bought that German Dodge...

Reply to
WindsorFox

: > : : > : Cut "frame", paste "unibody". Semantics. But thanks for playing! : > : : > : Cheers, : >

: >

: > Do I get a prize ? : >

: > KJK : >

: >

: : : But, you already got the "bonus plan" when you bought that German : Dodge...

:

Ohhhhhh SURE make fun of my Mercedes!

LMAO!

KJK