Bench Racing The '05 GT

Specs: 300 horsepower, 315 lb-ft of torque, variable intake & exhaust timing, 3.31:1 rear gears, 5-speed manual, a curb weight "within 1% of the current car", plus a much more favorable weight balance of F-53/R-47.

If the '05 GT's horsepower is underrated like Ford has been doing with the current Mach 1s and Cobras, this car should be a real runner! Is there any reason to think it WON'T be as quick and fast as the '03-'04 Mach 1s, which are the fastest normally-aspirated factory Mustangs ever built, besides the '00 R model?

I'm guessing the '05 GTs in factory bone-stock trim should run _at least_ 105 mph in the quarter.

Anyone else care to guess at what its performance numbers will be?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Might be, but from what I've heard it'll have to stay stock. And what fun is that?

The variable cam timing will pretty much ensure you'll never be able to mod the engine. Or at least no mods that would require aftermarket chips.. I've also heard that Ford has made the new chip tougher to crack (128bit encryption maybe?).

- 02 GT Black

- We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Reply to
Jafo

The '05 won't run with the 03/03 Mach's but will be respectable. The gearing on the Machs and the extra few hp will keep the '05s at bay. I think Ford is not underating the new engine, like it has been doing in the past. In fact, 300 may well be right at the upper limit. Doesn't matter though, its what gets to the rear wheels that matters.

Reply to
Mustang_66

Just a slight correction - from the articles I've read, the final gear for the 5-speed is expected to be 3.55:1. If the horsepower and torque ratings are as quoted or a little higher, I would expect a 0-60 time of

5.2-5.4 sec and a 1/4 mile time of 13.8-14.0 at 102-104 mph.

Are you go>Specs: 300 horsepower, 315 lb-ft of torque, variable intake & exhaust

Reply to
Tony Alonso

Jafo,

That's what was thought back in '86 when the Mustang switched to fuel injection.

It someone programmed it, there'll be someone who can reprogram it.

Ford knows it needs the aftermarket to sell its performance models. And from what I've been reading they have been very open to these companies, so that their parts are compatable with the factory computer.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Patrick,

Granted, you are correct. Perhaps my use of the word "never" was incorrect. I was comparing the time its taken for the aftermarket to jump on the 4.6 bandwagon for major parts development. As of today there are still only a couple of improved valve train designs and mediocre (at best) intakes. Took forever to find decent valve covers even (dressup).

The amount of parts available for the 5.0 are staggering. Considering the development time and costs, its taken the aftermarket years to put even a few 4.6 parts out. And here comes Ford with a new engine design, I'm thinking it will be even longer before they gear up.

I'm wondering what the aftermarket is really thinking about Ford. 5.0 how many years? 20 or so? my history is drawing a blank. 4.6 2V and 4V 96 to

2004 = 6 years. 4.6 3V 2005 to ?? = ??
Reply to
Jafo

I think the 2V 4.6 made its debut in 1992 (Crown Vic) and the 4V in 93 (Mark VIII) so the platform has been around quite a while. Generally speaking I agree with you in the fact that it's taken too damn long but the aftermarket has come around in a big way for these motors in the last 2 years and though it's still expensive as compared to its

5.0 counterpart, the stuff is available.

I'm not sure what you mean by "valve train designs". Nearly every major manufacturer is making cams, valves, springs, and such but you're dead-on right about the cam covers, there's only 2... BBK and Team Breed. The only aftermarket lower intakes are pretty much race-application intakes... I can think of 3 or 4 of those but there's several folks making improved upper plenums. It turns out that that big 'ol hunk of plastic is a pretty good lower unit in the

99-up cars.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Actually, the 4.6 2V debuted in the 91.5 TownCar and Crown Vics.

-ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert w/93 Cobra long block, GT-40 heads, Unknown Camshaft(??), HyperTech Chip, 73mm C&L MAF, BBK 2.5" O/R H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 Series Deltas, King Cobra Clutch Set, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Poly bushings.
Reply to
Katmandu

Actually, you can get some very nice valve covers from

My friend bought them for his '00 GT. As far as intakes go, there really isn't too much available. My friend ended up getting a Hogan because he couldn't find anything else to suit his needs. As far as everything else, it is available, but kind of pricey compared to a 5.0.Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.