CAI warranty voids

I'm looking to install a cold air intake on my new 2004 V6, but I want to know the details regarding warranty voids first. Since I still have 3 yrs left on my warranty, I don't want to void it at this point over a smiple mod such as a CAI that will only add 5-6 hp anyway. Does anyone know if there is a certain brand of CAI that doesn't void the Ford factory warranty? I've been looking at those cheap $30 eBay CAIs, since they are probably the best bang for the buck, but obviously I am willing to pay much more for something that doesn't void my warranty.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Just A Guy

2004 3.9L V6
Reply to
Just A Guy©

Installing a CAI will not void your factory warranty. Installing a CAI probably will not net you 5-6 horsepower either (at least not by itself.) If you want to put one on, use a bright shiny one. At least you are "dressing" up the engine bay. Be very careful of using an oil type filter (K & N) with your 3.8/3.9L engine. The MAF sensors are very susceptible to causing engine knock if they get any oil on them at all. Again, I am not saying you can't use one of these filters, just use them exactly as the directions say. Then, if the engine knocks, you have a good place to start looking for a problem. Claud

Reply to
Claud Spinks

Reply to
mustangjoe

You're probably right, but then again, there isn't much out there in mod options for a V6 without getting into supercharging and the like. In your opinion, what are my best performance options (for the buck, that is)? I don't have the $$$ for major mods, so a few bolt-ons are what I'm really after. I'm looking for a cheap GT take-off dual exhaust that should add a few hps with the CAI, but what else is out there? Underdrive pulleys? Are they worth it? Any factory warranty voids here? I know gears are a good way to go too, but they can get pretty expensive right? Any thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Thanks aga> > I'm looking to install a cold air intake on my new 2004 V6, but I want

Reply to
Just A Guy©

The cheap bolt-ons that are effective become factory standard. Superchargers, turbos and nitrous all work, but all cost money and have potential issues. You'll be in the same performance ballpark unless you spend real money. I'd put the cheap bolt-on wastage toward a set of good tires or something.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Without a Supercharger or Nitrous, the V6 will still be a V6. That said, they are alot better than the pre-99 V6's. Some people feel that the V6 is a better autocross platform because of weight and balance. You may want to make a corner carver out of your V6. Do a google search for Kenny Brown and see what he offers in the way of V6 suspension mods. Also, do another search for V6 Mustang performance. There are at least 2 or 3 websites that cater to the V6'ers. However, without going all out with a SC or nitrous, pouring money on V6 horsepower mods is not very cost effective. Claud

Reply to
Claud Spinks

A CAI will yield no power increase in a V6. I honestly don't think I got any power increase on my V8. I have no dyno sheets to prove either way, but I "felt" nothing. It is neat engine dress-up, but that's about all on a naturally aspirated motor. Build the suspension & braking on that V6... then worry about going fast.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

My son has an '04 V6 that to me always seemed "lethargic". I drove it today after he installed a dual cat back exhaust and MAC CAI kit. Frankly, it sounded better, looked cooler, and subjectively, seemed a bit more peppy. No rocketship, but no slouch either.

Just my two cents...

Reply to
JohnW

Yeah, basically what I'm looking for too. I don't want something to compete with the V8s and the such, just something to intimidate those riced imports and look cool while doing it. All I'm looking for is a little more "pep," good looks, and good sound. I know putting my money into something more worthwhile may be better in the long run, but I don't plan on keeping this car for very long, so I just want something to play with with the little $$$ I have. Dual exhaust and CAI seem to be in the near future. I'm just trying to iron out the details of the warranty so I don't get into trouble when it's time to take the car into the shop for its regular inspection and check-up.

So, anymore warranty warnings I should know about before I reach for my wallet?

Thanks, Just A Guy

Reply to
Just A Guy©

In order for a warranty to be voided, they must *prove* that it was the aftermarket part that caused the problem. Why put money into a car you're not going to keep very long? Makes no sense to me... take your girlfriend out on a nice date or 2 or 5. Or buy some new tools. Or get a new game. Or .....

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset