Mod & Warranty

Hi everyone,

I did some mod on my 04 OBS and would like to know in what degree of mod will void my factory warranty ??

So far I have installed a DIY grounding kit and planning to replace the brake line with SS brake lines.

Thanks, H

Reply to
hho2005

As a very general reply - if they question a warranty claim, they would likely need to satisfy you or your lawyer or a judge that your mod caused the failure. If you install inferior brakelines and a have a brake related warranty claim, you're toast. If, after installing brakelines, they try to deny a transmission warranty claim, it may be difficult for them to reasonably blame your mod.

Doesn't mean they won't try some kind of "Well, you are a modder and probably race a lot so you toasted your trannie"-type stuff. But if you hold to your position, it probably won't be a problem.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

How is the grounding kit working ??

I have one 'half' made up, just not fitted yet. Have a stumbling/stalling problem on takeoff (manual) and looking for a cheep fix. (been driving a manual for over 50 years so yes I do no how to use a clutch)

Reply to
Bugalugs

The grounding kit is working good, pickup and overall ride is much smoother.

Reply to
hho2005

What do you mean by one 'half' made up? You don't use an off the shelf kit?

Me too. Any diference between the kits? I googled and found at least two so far: HKS 'Circle Earth' Grounding Kit for $125 on fastwrx.com and Hot Earth Hyper Grounding System for $135 on seffects.com

Reply to
Body Roll

Paying that kind of money for someone's "grounding kit" is a huge waste. You can easily do this yourself for far less with wire and connectors obtained at Radio Shack and/or Home Depot. You don't need a gazillion wires running all over the engine either, if it's going to make any difference just a couple of wires to key points is all you need. Most important is battery negative to intake manifold, and also to frame. On a new or relatively new vehicle where everything is still clean and hasn't corroded there may be little benefit to doing this. One thing you can do initially which is free, is to clean up the existing grounds that are already there. Sometimes this is all that is needed. On those that are attached to painted surfaces, you can check to see that the paint is removed under the bolt/washer so it makes good contact, sometimes the factory doesn't do this. Scrape off the paint directly under the contact area, then put the bolt/washer back. Cover them, and the immediate area around them, with some light grease or touch-up paint to prevent corrosion.

Reply to
mulder

By half made up, I've found a length of heave multistrand cable in the back of a drawer, outlayed about $4 for some large connectors and soldered a couple of them up already.

So I must be $120 ahead already

This has been around for a while but if you go here there is details of how it has been done:

Bugalugs