direct wiring laser detector in mustang, wiring ?

I want to directly wire my laser detector in my mustang. I need to find a ground (easy) and switched 12 volt wire to hook it up. Anyone know an easy place under the dash somewhere ? This is an 03 cobra, but wiring should be similar to GT's and V6 thanks Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

"Rein" wrote

I don't get why people buy these things. The ONLY way your gonna detect a laser, other than in extremely dusty or humid situations, is if it's pointed at you, and by then it's too late. You're already caught. Even in extremely dusty or humid situations you have to be pretty damned lucky to catch a refraction off the beam. Waste of money IMHO.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Actually, it does Radar too. Laser isn't used much around here. For laser I have a jammer.

Rein

You can JAM a laser?

How?

Reply to
Jay Honeck

They claim it does work; I'm still skeptical.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Well, I suppose if the cop's laser gun was held (and shot) precisely in line with the LED emitters, this approach to jamming might work.

But what are the odds of a speed trap's laser gun being shot precisely from that position?

It's gotta be close to zero, methinks.

Reply to
Jay Honeck

Best one out there is the Lidatek LE-30. It's a new model, the LE-20 is also excellent. Here is how it works. A transponder in your grill detects that your car is the target of a laser beam. It then immediately jams the laser, giving a false reading on the cops laser. It also warns the driver he is being targeted. The jamming takes about

10 seconds then shuts down. So the driver has 10 seconds to lower his speeds to a legal one. It works, I know numerous people who have them, tested them, experienced them. It works. As far as I know the Lidatek is the only one that works.

Rein

"Rein" wrote

I'm not sure I believe that. First the laser beam would have to be pointed AT the detector in the grille. Well, what if he aims at the windshield, or a headlight, or anywhere on the front of the car where the transponder is not located. Does that transponder cover the entire front of the vehicle, no. Plus, the jamming mechanism would have to kick in faster than that laser beam can be detected by the laser gun itself. This jammer responds faster than the speed of light?? OK, so now this jammer is also a time machine? Shyeah.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Their success depends on the LEO being lazy, and targeting the subject too early. If targeted too soon, the laser is lighting up a huge area on the car. If the jammer is triggered by that initial hit, and remains active for 10 seconds, I can see it working. I think you would need at least 3 of the LED emitters, to protect both headlights and the front license plate. The windshield is a pretty crappy laser target, it won't reflect enough to get a reading unless it's nearly vertical.

If the Laser unit is operated properly, using a good location, no chance.

Reply to
John C.

A test standing RIGHT in front of the car showed it still worked, no matter where you tagged the car on the front with the laser. And yes, it DOES work. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

I'm not trying to start a fight w/ anybody or anything... but Rein, believe what you want... and sometimes trying to convince other ppl otherwise is totally pointless. Me... I think they work.. but will I try to convince anybody for longer than a few minutes? Nah. Will just cause frustration.. just my .02 cents.

-Mike

98 Mustang GT
Reply to
<memset

Let's just say I'd be more comfortable believing the claims of an independent study. If the UL tested it and published it's findings I would have some confidence. I'm not trying to start a war either, I just have a problem with the claims without either seeing it myself or having studies that weren't sponsored by the manufacturer supporting the claims.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I agree totally. I'm the same way with many many things. I totally understand your POV & have nothing against it. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence either in case that came across at all like that.. just saying sometimes trying to convince people otherwise is more frustrating than it's worth. If there were independent studies, I'd be very interested in reading up on 'em myself.

-Mike

frustration..

Reply to
<memset

My V1 has alerted me to it as it was measuring someone in front of me.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

You can bet your money or freedom that it will not work on radar. The police "laser" is not a laser, it's infrared like your TV remote. That COULD work, though like Garth I am still skeptical. But it could and as far as I know the FCC does not regulate it. But I am sure if there were proof you were jamming / interfering with an officer in official duty, you would be in far more trouble than you would with a

16 over speeding ticket.
Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

It wouldn't have to be anymore direct that the tranceiver is.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

It's not a laser beam. It's an infrared beam that by the time it gets to a car the size of the beam is as big as the car.

Yes.

Only AS fast. The difference between would probably be too fast for an LCD readout to change.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Okay, dumb question #3245: Why do they call it a "laser detector" if the police aren't using lasers?

Reply to
Jay Honeck

No, it;s a LASER (or infrared) jammer, not a radar jammer. Radar jamming is illegal by law. Laser jamming is NOT. (one is a radiowave, the other is light)

Rein

That's because laser isn't the tiny little dot people think it is. By the time it hits your car it's as wide as the car or wider as in your case. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein