check engine light- AutoZone

Hi all. 97 Mustang 4.6, 5 sp. Autozne tech had trouble reading the code. tried several times and may have erased code. When i left the store, the check engine light was no longer on. What did he probably do? and i figure if someting is wrong it will eventually show again? Still no light and it seems fine....what do you think? thanks..bill

Reply to
bill

I had a Check Engine Light on my 97GT due to mil eliminators failing. After the third set I decided to ignore the code and the light and put a Newport Bridge token over the light on the dash so it wouldn't annoy me any further. The light eventually went out without any further interaction from me. My son has the car now and it runs as well as ever, passes inspection, and the token is still stuck on the dash for sentimental reasons. Wait a few weeks and see if it comes on again. Then you might want to try and pull the code again.

Regards, Sarah

Reply to
Mrs Ken Ehrett

If the light was on due to stored codes, it sounds like the tech cleared the codes. Chances are, the condition that caused the code the first time will do it again.

If the tech cleared the codes before he properly read them, he didn't do you much of a favor. The codes (and MIL) are there to help you; they're your friend. :-)

John V

93 GT
Reply to
jmvannoy