garage accident, how to remove house paint from side of car.

This isn't jeep related but hell, I know my jeep buddies will have some suggestions. My girlfriend came over and accidently cut too close when entering my garage.( the empty bay next to my 99TJ, hows that?) She scraped the center post of the garage and got a good bit of exterior house paint on her new maxima.( I know you're grinning) Ok, now the car isn't dented but it's a mess with about an 8x16 inch scrape across the back right door and the door guard trim is scraped down to it's black primer. Before I go down the wrong patn, can somebody instruct me on what to use to get the paint off? I've got some Mcquires cleaner wax but don't know if that'll do it. don't know if want to use rubbing compound on a 2003 vehicle. thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Elflan

Dude - Check with one of the "Auto Detailing" sites they might be better at offering advice on this subject than on this form. a good one is

they have a message boardor you can go to
& you can Ask the Experts. L8r - Jersey

Reply to
Jersey

Thanks for the help, Those sites are good ones and I've bookmarked them for future use. From what I'm learning, I need to wash the area then rub it gently with mineral spirits first and then gradually apply cleaner wax until the scraped paint is gone.It's going to take a while to get this scraped paint off but at least I know I'm not making matters worse.

Reply to
Elflan

Just to follow up; I went to Home Depot and bought a spray bottle of Goof Off 2 and it worked great at removing the latex paint from the clear coat. This stuff is water based,(smells kinda like bourbon to me but thats another story),and I got the paint off without much effort at all. I put a coat of wax onto the clear coat and it all looks pretty good. Thanks for the detailing links.

Elflan

Reply to
twaldron

The goof off 2 is waterbased and probably more gentle than the original goof off which is some kind of petroleum/zylene,or something. the detail forum,(referenced above) mentions that goof off 2 might be easier on car finishes and other sensitive surfaces.

Reply to
Elflan

Reply to
twaldron

Great I'll have to remember that one. Now take that Jeep out in to the woods & scratch it up! ;)

L8r - Jersey

Reply to
Jersey

Reply to
twaldron

I just re-read it & it was for his girlfriends car......... Still no reason he can't take that Jeep out to the woods & scratch it up.

Reply to
Jersey

Reply to
twaldron