cluster

For those that have four eyes I have a problem with my cluster. Sometimes my fuel, water and oil gauge all mark 3/4. After a while it goes back to normal. Sometimes it's just the fuel gauge. It makes small sweeps back and forth. What controls this ? Also my fuel light sometimes stays on even with half a tank and other times it won't come on even if I run her low on fuel. Is my car possessed ?

-- Luna

Luna

Luna opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I know that ALL good "'Stangers" know right away the model... but I had to think about it even though I've owned 5 of those models. "86" is a lot easier to identify with.

No... you have a bad ground from the cluster harness to the frame under the dash. Thus you are seeing "averaging".

Look to the area on the right with the cluster out, IIRC. But while you're at it, clean and tighten up every one you can find... between driver kick panel etc.

The "small sweeps" are the mechanical voltage regulator..works like a turn signal flasher.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Which is the easiest and/or cheapest ?

Reply to
Luna

Easiest is to replace the IVR - Service Part Number D1AZ-10804-A (GR-513). Least expensive is to convert the existing IVR to solid-state.

The IVR is located on the backside of the instrument cluster, between the oil pressure and fuel level gauges.

Reply to
Mick