'65 paint question

In trying to put my '65 back together, i purchaced a can of blue spray paint for the mesh on the grill. They handed me a can of Ford Engine Blue and told me that was right. That doesn't seem right to me. Anybody have any answers?

Another question while i'm here....is my car supposed to say F O R D across the hood? i say no, but Hubby's dying to put the letters on.

*LOL* 1965 coupe, 289 automatic.

Thanks folks!

ponygurl289

Reply to
mustang sally

No, Ford Engine Blue is not the right color! Check with any of the Mustang parts houses, like National Parts Depot, and they will have the correct color, which is more of a bluish gray. Yes, the 1965 Mustangs had "FORD" on the hood. Can you see the evidence of the holes on the front? If not, then you have may have a replacement 1966 hood.

Reply to
Laurie S.

There's no evidence of holes from the letters, which is why i asked. But it could very well be a replacement hood, that explains a few things. Thanks! And i ~knew~ that paint wasn't right. It was from Northcoast Mustang Supply in case anyone is interested.

Reply to
mustang sally

Hi ponygurl289,

I don't think the original grilles were painted, that was just the colour of the metal.

The colour is more of a gunmetal grey, certainly NOT Ford engine blue, as someone else already pointed out.

You could probably make do with a dark grey without having to go the distance of the correct colour unless of course your heading for concourse territory.

It's been a while since I've had my nose right up against the grille though ;-) I do have to do that soon though, my wife backed into it with our Escape last fall and bend the corral's top bracket. Another little project on my TO DO list.

Andrew Croft

'65 Caspian blue 6 cylinder coupe, blue interior [07.85 to present]

'96 Forest green GT coupe, grey interior [04.96 to 04.00]'88 medium blue 5.0LX hatchback, grey interior [93-04.96]'80 white hatchback, red interior [91-93]My other car is a Ford - '04 Escape, 6 cylinder, silver, grey cloth -LOVE IT - it's my second Escape.

Reply to
Andrew Croft

What type of black is on the 1965 engine, satin, low gloss or high gloss black

Reply to
MJDJ

Where did you get the idea that any Mustang has a blue grille?

Yes, those letters should be there, and there should be holes for them unless it's an aftermarket replacement hood.

Sounds to me like you're working on a car while blind, with zero references. Buy "Mustang Restoration Handbook" by Don Taylor and Tom Wilson, ISBN 0-89586-402-9.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet