Removing wires...

I recently purchased a 68 and 69 VW Bug Autostick and am in the process of taking the body parts off the 69 to remove the paint and prime. I 've got the Hood and Bumber off and the bolts out of the front left wheel cover but how do I detach the wires to the lights and turn signal lights? I know I can cut them but want to avoid that if possible.

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

The turn sig/park wires will pull thru the rubber bootie if you disconnect inside the lamp housing.

The headlight is harder. Each female terminal in the 3-prong socket has a locking tab on it which keeps it from pulling out of the molded plastic. If you use a small tool, like a jewelers screwdriver, you can pry the tab out slightly so that it will release and the terminal will pull out.

If you forget later, the correct wiring for the socket is on my web site:-)

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks for the info. I will try that if it doesn't work I've been told I can cut the wires.

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

Of course you can cut them -- unless you plan to replace the entire hwiring harness though its a little more difficult to un-cut them.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I can always resoilder them back but going to try to remove them with cutting them as my soilding skills aren't the greates in the world.

Reply to
Noice87