fuel cap warning light

I just had a gasket replaced on the fuel tank at the dealer. Now the fuel cap warning light is on and won't go off. Checked and reset cap serveral times and is ok. Why won't light go off. Can it be reset easily?

2002 Mustang GT
Reply to
user

If the tank is air tight and the cap is working properly the alarm will clear in a few days. If the alarm remains longer, you will need to return to the dealer and have them test the cap or check their repair.

Reply to
WraithCobra
** I just had a gasket replaced on the fuel tank at the dealer. Now the ** fuel cap warning light is on and won't go off. Checked and reset cap ** serveral times and is ok. Why won't light go off. Can it be reset easily?

Disconnect both neg. and pos. battery cables for 20 mins. (yes, it works with OBD-II; I had to do this to clear a MIL when I changed out my leaky EGR valve gasket.)

Regards,

-JD

--------------------------------- JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams---------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Rather than the wait and see attitude, I'd head back to the dealer... the tech working on the car should have cleared the codes (this would reset the EVAP monitor) and the light would be off. Especially if this was a warranty repair..... Ford drills it into us at every turn - VERIFY THE REPAIR..... If I don't, there's every chance in the world that I will have one of those nifty little gifts we call a "chargeback".

If the light came on after you picked the car up, there is the chance that the tech left you with a leaking EVAP system. Either way, I couldn't see myself putting up with it.

Word to the wise.... for the best service when you return..... be confident, be sure of when the light came on (before or after you took delivery), be firm but above all else - resist the urge to be nasty or insulting..... these folks are people too and will respond badly to aggression... (even the good ones that get painted with the same brush as the bad ones).

HTH

Jim Warman