gas smell coming from heater vents

I started noticing a gas smell when I turn on the heat in my car about a week ago. I popped the hood and did a quick once-over to see if I could find a leak, but didn't see anything (admittedly, I didn't look very long, it's only about 10 degrees outside and I don't have a garage!) Is there anywhere in particular I should look to see if I can spot a leak? I don't want a fireball on my hands, I'd like to get this fixed but I also don't want to get raked over the coals by having a shop replace something that doesn't need to be.

Thanks for any replies,

James '94 GT

Reply to
LoTekGuru

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

The first thing I would check is the charcoal canister the see if it's full of gas. That's why the sign at the pump says "DO NOT TOP OFF!" and people who sit there going "thunk, sss-thunk, sss-thunk" over and over and over should be smacked with a clus stick. It can also get gas in it if you've been on a steep hill with a full tank.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Thanks, although I'm one of the few that puts the pump back when it stops by itself, I'll look into that anyway

Reply to
LoTekGuru