Good explanation of modular engines vs. older V8's?

Hi all -

I am curious, when FoMoCo made the switch from the old 5.0L V8 to the 4.6L modular engine, what is the difference? What does "modular" mean, anyway?

Thanks, Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Cameron

The mod motor first came out in the 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII. "Modular" refers to a design concept that was intended to make it easier to add or subtract cylinders, i.e., to turn the V8 into a V-10. Since Chrysler did the same thing with the Viper motor, adding two cylinders to its 40 year old small block, and Chevy did the same thing with the S10 motor, subtracting two cylinders from its *50* year old small block, I'd say it was not exactly an engineering breakthrough.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Thanks! Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Cameron

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

No, it was the 1991 Town Car.

Sort of... but it's more than that, much more.

Again... sort of. The Chevy was only 22-23 years old when it was configured into an odd-firing V-6(the 3.8 Chevy - not to be confused with the 3.8 Buick - which everybody did). It was before the S-10... the S-10/S-15(remember them?) original V-6 was the even-fire 60 degree

2.8 Liter.

Well, the Modular Ford is a very rigid, precisely built, and clean running engine(passes w/o thermactor / AIR Pump) with an excellent HP to CID output... and is an OHC design, sharing NOTHING with any engine it replaces. It is quiet from a harmonics position, free revving & breathes well. The accessories are rigidly mounted to the engine too.

See:

for a good overview.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Try here too... Mods are covered on pg.2, but this is a good read on ford engines...:

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:22:06 -0400, trainfan1 wrote something wonderfully witty:

After the 2.8 in the S-10/S-15's it was the 4.3 liter V-6 never a 3.8.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Right - the 3.8 was before the S-10. Never said the 3.8 came in a S-10.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Eehhh you sure about them numbers? I know someone that built a V6 Chevy to race and it was the 4.3 V6. I don't remember too much about a

3.8 Chevy.
Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Few do remember. It was the 305 with 2 cylinders lopped off. Think

80-84 Malibu/El Camino/Monte Carlo/Impala/Camaro/LeMans. It was the VIN "K" engine - 229 CID vs Buick's 231 CID. By 1985 it was 4.3 Liters / 262 CID.

Most people remember the 5.7 L Olds diesel... same era, up to 1984, but how many remember the 4.3L / 260 V-8(1979-80 - Olds only) & 262 CID V-6(82-83) diesels? They were available in some GM cars - Malibu/Regal/Cutlass & other Olsmobiles... also an Olds-based(not "converted" gas) engine - and I think the 262's were the only "Olds" V-6's!

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1