GT500 & Corvette Duke It Out!

Check out the new Car & Driver.

The new Shelby GT500 ran a disappointing 12.9 @ 112 mph. Not really any faster than the previous 4.6 Terminator Cobra. (Hopefully we don't have another '99 Cobra fiasco happening.)

The Corvette ran 12.8 @ 113 / 0-60

-- They also raced two low-milage examples of the '68 GT500 & '68 427 Vette.

'68 GT500 -- 13.9 @ 103 '68 427 Vette -- 13.8 @ 105

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

In reality both cars will perform better than that. Which will actually be faster? Hard to say so far. The Mustang has the 100-hp advantage, but it comes wrapped with a heavier weight penalty. Power wars!

I'm glad they dumped the fog lights from the GT500. SVT really does know how to make Mustangs look good!

Thanks, Scott

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: >

Reply to
Scott Moseman

I saw that and I wondered how the GT500 does the same quarter as the

4.6 Cobra (03-04) with a 110 horse advantage. Something doesn't add up.
Reply to
jmvannoy

When it comes to high horsepower cars with manual transmissions there is a law of diminishing returns when it comes to 1/4 mile times. It also makes driver skill very important to achieving a good ET. My guess is a combination of poor shifting and throttle control and lack of traction is the reason for the seeming low time for the GT500. The time quoted for the Vette makes me think the driver wasn't up to the task on that day and/or track conditions were horrible.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

The new Shelby is close to 3,900 pounds isn't it? A Corvette is not over 3,200. 20+% more weight is going to require 80-90 horsepower for par. There you go.

Reply to
HerkyJerky

Weight is definitely a factor but times for both cars are low IMO. I have a Mustang that makes about 425 rwhp and 460 rwtq at 2,500 rpm. It has a T-56 six speed with 3.55 gears and launching is a tricky affair. Especially with street tires. A GT500 with a good driver and slicks should easily dip into the high to mid 11 second range and could get into the 10s with a few relatively cheap and easy tuning tricks .....like a smaller blower pulley. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

that to was the first thing that came to mind. the mustang being heaver than the vette. mp

Reply to
Michael price

Driver skill(with regard to manual transmissions) definitely plays a big part in 1/4 mile race times BUT the biggest factor is a little thing called power-to-weight ratio(PtW). Acceleration is directly tied to PtW therefore PtW is king at the strip. The straight dope is as follows:

2006 Ford Shelby GT500 Engine: 5.4L 500 SAE NET HP / 3,920 lbs == .128

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Engine: 7L

505 SAE NET HP / 3,132 lbs == .161

1968 Ford Shelby GT500 Engine: 428CJ CID

335 SAE GROSS HP / 3,780 lbs == .088

1968 Chevrolet Corvette Engine: 427 CID(L36,L68,L71,L88)

390-430 SAE GROSS HP/ 3,210 lbs == .121-.134
Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

My surprise was not at the Vette beating the GT500 by a tenth; it was at the GT500 running the same quarter as the 03-04 Terminator cars.

Reply to
jmvannoy

Probably the driver was on crank

Reply to
SonarBoy

More like the Magazines realize both manufacturers are in trouble and dont want to take sides so its easier to post something that wont offend either car.

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE