Hawk brakes SQEEEEEAAKKK

I put these new Hawk HP (NOT the plus) pads on my 2000 GT... stock calipers and rotors. The rotors were in great shape, no need to turn them... but I did go over them with emery cloth like the Hawk instructions say. I even put anti squeak on the pads... I broke them in as per the instructions also. At the same time I added braided steel brake lines. The car stops great now! HOWEVER, it squeaks ALOT! I have to hide my head when I come to stop lights... its so embarassing. My friend who drives Skyline's and stuff with racing pads says don't worry about it, all of thier pads always squeek too... Does anyone else have/had this problem with these pads? If so, did it go away after the pads broke in, or is there anything else I should do to get rid of this? Its a bad squeak, like someone raking a nail down some sheet metal or something... usually with light/med braking, hard braking makes no noise...

its so embarrasing...

thanks,

-bryan

Reply to
Bryan

I've had the same thing happen with the hawk pads I have. But it's only occasionally, under light braking. Usually it's not loud either. I've thought about going in there and putting anti-squeak on em. But it's way down on the list. But, they do make less noise than the brembo pads...

Yeah, but oh well...

Reply to
Brent P

Rein

I heard that applying some axle grease to the rotor surfaces helps to reduce squealing.

Seriously... new cars with OEM type brake pads have no problems, at least not the ones I have experienced. Even most aftermarket typical replacement pads (like the ones you get at Pep Boys or whatever) will not squeel if you install them properly. However, I have heard many complaints from people who have tried the various "hi-performance" fancy brake pads. My opinon... unless you really need to stop regularly and repetitively from 130 to zero as fast as possible, or race the car competitively on a track, stock type pads should be more than fine, and will not give you headaches. One guy I know put in some expensive "racing" type pads that supposedly work great only when very hot... but as it turns out, they perform terrible in typical street conditions since the brakes are often not that hot when driving on the street in a manner that is anywhere near the realm of legality. So, point is, for those about to spend $ on fancy brake parts, consider sticking to either OEM or typical stock type parts... such parts are designed for street use... and chances are the STREET is where you will be using the car most... so it makes sense.

Reply to
Edgar Tompkin

I bet you forgot to grab a pack of brake anti-squeak goop.

You apply a liberal dab of it between your pad and brake piston and (if applicable) shim.

Go get some. And yeah, hawk pads roxx0rz my boxx0rz

Reply to
nerdymark

I have Hawk pads on my Mustang (for several years) and they do not squeal.

You MUST apply anti-squeal compound between the pads and the piston(s) when you install the pads. If you don't, they (and virtually all brake pads) will squeal like hell.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

That guy made a serious mistake and didn't bother to research things. Just because he put race-only stuff on his car doesn't mean that everything is like that and OEM is the only way for street use.

There are good street pads and street brakes that are much better than OEM or stuff from the three stooges. I didn't know how crappy the stock brakes on my mustang were until I went to germany. After that, they were unacceptable and that's street car to street car.

There are lots of performance cars with better brakes/pads than what the mustangs get OEM that are designed for the street and don't require being hot to work well. There is no reason not to use this technology on mustangs where possible. Even Ford has put a different brakes on various SN95 mustangs.

But as far as squeaks go, I've seen various OEM and OEM replacement pads squeak too. Best guess I've heard is in bedding in the new pads/ sanding the rotor surface not being right. I dunno.

Reply to
Brent P

I would have to agree with Edgar, unless you need them why use them. Higher performance pads have to be harder and will make more noise, but if you dont really need it why bother? Are you racing around corners and stuff? Or just like to stop like normal?

replacement

Reply to
Bob Sacamano

Normal like a typical US spec domestically made car or normal like a german spec car?

Reply to
Brent P

I did put on some anti-sqeak goo but not where the pistons are... I was under the impression that putting the goo on/near/around the pistons will mess the pistons up.. ?? I put the goo on the backs of the outside pads, and along the top of the inside pads...

anyone else put the goo in front of the pistons? I guess I could try that... the car is not a daily driver so I guess it doesn't matter too much if I have to rebuild the calipers...

thanks!

-bryan

Reply to
Bryan

It's not going to do anything unless it's between the pad and the piston. (not inside the cup, but on edge that touches the back of the pads)

I've never used the stuff but it can't mess up the pistons. All the working parts are sealed. Worst I would guess it can do is make a mess.

Reply to
Brent P

Yeah I drive this car pretty hard... its not really a daily driver... (less than 20k on it and I've had it since 2000) I really did not like the stock brakes... they were mushy and just didn't want to stop the car... I several things besides change the pads... I replaced the rubber brake lines with braided brake lines, and added a Steeda Gtrac stage 1 kit... the car stops very well now with virtually no nose dive... between the nose dive and mushy brakes I hated stopping in that car...

as much as a piece of crap my wifes Sebring is, I really like the brakes in that car...

-bryan

Reply to
Bryan