Head bolt removal on 2.3 - A little concerned

I was only able to get a 3/8" drive socket and using my 3/8" rachet I was noyt able to budge the bolts. I tried using my power bar with a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter (not best quality) and sheared the adapter using my power handle. Looks like I will have to look for a 1/2" drive 13mm socket.

I was hoping someone has done this as I would like to know if the bolts came out OK or did they shear.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Lloyd Cimprich

Huh! Any cheap drive adapter SHOULD break trying to loosen a head bolt

Any jobber (means supplies repair shops) parts store is going to have that 1/2 in drive socket. And NEVER skimp on engine sockets and wrenches.

No. i dont think that head bolt is going to break.

"Lloyd Cimprich" wrote in news:bf981$43602eb6$cf706f50$ snipped-for-privacy@PRIMUS.CA:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
scott and barb

My sockets etc. are mostly Gray or Snap-on. The adapter was ??? and no suprise that it was not up to the task. I do not think the quality tool people even supply an adapter that steps down, only up.

My first thought was to go to one of the local jobbers I deal with but no one seems to have a 13mm 12point 1/2" drive socket!!! I just came back from Sears and they do not even stock them. I will keep on trying but sure wonder what Fords logic was when they use 12point instead of 6 point. The only thing I can figure is it is easier for the automated assemblers to engage the head.

Thanks.

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote:

Reply to
Lloyd Cimprich