Help, please... My convertible top has shrunk

That is correct!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anything currently out on the ,market is not meant to be used to help "stretch" your convertible top back in to place. heater won't work unless they are of the radiant variety and mounted on the ceiling pointed down at the top. Chemicals will only damage the top material itself. If you used ambient heat in the past, do so again, but leave it outside in the direct sunlight all day if you have to, as this is your only true choice. Otherwise, it's time to replace the convertible top.

Bill S.

Steve Forrester wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

no matter what the ads may say, you canNOT condition vinyl.

| > - a l e x | >

| > > Kate | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

sorry Steve... it's beginning to look that way from here. Not so much stupid, but nieve and stubborn on this side of the glass *grin*

Kate

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

OH FU*K!

Now you've done it John....

*rolling her eyes*

.... another one bites the dust. Let us know how you like the new top you'll have to install Steve!

Kate

| > I am really desperate!!! | | | If heating it up will get it closed, but under normal operating conditions it's | too tight, then this will work: | | Are you daring? Do you have a good staple-gun? :) | | Put the top half-way up. Pull back the top material from above the rear window. | There should be a cloth strip with staples in it, the strip/staples are holding | the top material taut from the rear-most bow to the windshield. Remove staples, | beginning with just a couple in the center of the strip. Try to close the top | each time you remove a couple staples. You will eventually get it to close. With | luck, there will be enough material there to re-staple the strip in a position | that will allow the top to function normally. | | Don't remove all the staples at once! The top will be baggy as hell and will | take forever to get the top looking decent again! Adjusting the corners is a | PITA. | | HTH, | | __ | | John C. | '00 GT Convt | '03 Cobra Convt | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Dang! I forgot the disclaimer. "Kids... don't try this at home!"

Better late, than never. :]

__

John C. '00 GT Convt. '03 Cobra Convt.

Reply to
John C.

LOL John.. that's more like it.

Kate

| > Now you've done it John.... | >

| > *rolling her eyes* | >

| > .... another one bites the dust. Let us know how you like the new top you'll | > have to install Steve! | >

| > Kate | >

| | Dang! I forgot the disclaimer. "Kids... don't try this at home!" | | Better late, than never. :] | | __ | | John C. | '00 GT Convt. | '03 Cobra Convt. | |

Reply to
SVTKate

I had an 89 convertible Mustang GT I had this problem I soaked it with baby oil after I managed to lock the top down in place I kept reapplying the ba by oil with top locked in for a week then used baby oil every now and then that eventually straightend it out Good Luck!

Reply to
mtwdcontact

Hi I have the very same problem now with my Geo Metro convertible top howev er my top I believe is canvas not vinyl. Did you ever find a solution to your problem Steve ? I read through these comments to you and found some pe ople really like to talk but don't say much of anything kind or intelligent .

Reply to
doughdoc1953

Sorry, Kate, but John's was the best suggestion. I would add, when you replace that top, make sure you get canvas, not vinyl.

Reply to
glenmorehouse

Clean it well and rub it with mineral oil.

Reply to
heathkruse

replying to Steve Forrester, Cindy wrote: I just did this and heat really does work. I put an electric blanket on the top of the vinyl top and put an electric heater inside the car. Two hours later and the top snapped right on.

Reply to
Cindy