Hey PATRICK - got the '93 Cobra

Pat you are so right. I have a 2004 Maxima SL with 265hp and it is faster then my 88 Mustang 5L with a Powerdyne 6lb S/C on it. But hey it took how long for these cars to catch up? Not to mention that the 300tq is still very high by today's standards. Now if only Ford would place their 3.5L 6 cylinder in the base Mustang, hmmm......

Here I go again off on a rant. IMO the Mustang needs to offer a few different styling appearances with their different nameplates (such as Mach I, Boss, Bullitt, etc...) with a few more engine options producing as many as they can sell not limited editions which isn't how they became successful in the first place, especially with a new Pony War coming. First get out of the way something for those concerned with economy or gas mileage that still has some performance or find a replacement like they had with the EXP and Probe market. Then a base 6 cylinder, a Hi performance 6 perhaps twin turbo like the Lincoln may debut with (reborn SVO?). A base 4.6 with a tweaked 5.0 stroked, as well as a base 5.4 with a tweaked 5.8 stroked hi performance. Then aftermarket the s/c, single, or twin turbos/ Maybe bring back a big block to embarrass the Vette or once again another platform like the Pantera was since they exhausted the GT40? Ok going back to sleep lol...

Nick :)

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

And that's why most people who were lucky enough to get one new left them 100% stock.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Nick,

It has been such a long time since I've seen a McLaren. Tell us about your car.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Do you know anyone with a G-Tech? I'm really curious to see what you car will run.

All Cobras came with UD pullies.

I'm trying to recall. IIRC, mine ran a best of 13.5 and a 103 trap. That was with a short belt, skinnies and sticky street tires.

Like Windsor Fox stated, that's why most didn't modify them.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

B,

This link used to work. Maybe e-mail the allfordmustangs site and see if they can provide the source.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

You're kidding? Your 5.0 with a 6lb puffer should be making an easy

300.

Rest easy. It's coming. Soon.

They are also coming. Ford has stated they'll produce a "specialty model" every year.

I agree 100%. That's the way it should always be.

Again, I agree. I think a modern SVO would be cool!

Hey, we already have a blown 5.4 in 500, 550 and 600-750 HP versions.

FYI -- the term "big block" is undefined.

I think Ford's high-end stuff is gone for quite a long time. They need to get the basics/low-end of the market right before they can play with high-dollar toys again.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Hey guys... no, I don't know anyone with a G-Tech. In two weeks it'll be time to put the car away. :(

I agree, stock rox. On *any* car, stock is best. Especially a low run Cobra, and Cobra-R, as Nick pointed out.

But I think only the water pump pulley was under-driven on the stock Cobra?

I dunno. I get the car back tomorrow - having an immobilizer put in it - and then it's a few more weeks of fun before the snow flies. Today I emailed my friend a camera phone pic of the little cobra with the words underneath it, "Feed me..." lol... He wrote back, "sushi, weiner schnitzel or hamburger?" lol... Mustangs are just plain fun!

Brad

Reply to
BradandBrooks

Thanks Pat!

BradandBrooks

300hp? I only wish. With the speed density, full Bassani exhaust with cats, and pulleys I was at a healthy 198hp at the wheels. After the Cobra MAF conversion with 24lb injectors I took off the pulleys and dyno'd at 188hp. Added the Powerdyne s/c to obtain the 238hp that's a 27% gain which is weak, car needs tweaking. Situation is my car is pretty rare too being an ASC McLaren. I really wanted to leave it stock, then I got the Mustang itch to do some mods but conscious tells me to keep it simple improvements and bolt ons that can easily be reversed. Furthest I would go now with mine is minor changes in appearance, vastly improve the brakes, make it handle incredible, with some decent power so I can enjoy it like it was meant to be. In order to justify modifying my car I plan to get a low mileage mint ASC McLaren as a "trailer queen" someday.

Yes I am aware of that, Let me start over so I can try to better convey my thoughts, bare with me please. I feel Ford isnt doing it right. The way I see it is they are milking sales on old legendary icons we love with nothing to back it up other then 3m tape. It's pretty cheesey to release one specialty model a year that people can not afford to get consumers into the showrooms hoping they buy the less expensive models. To top it off there is little distinguishing one theme from another whether they share the same drivetrain, ground effects, wheels, brakes, etc... Back in the day these specialty cars had their own image and a purpose, nobody had a clue what these specialty cars were cause they were just evolving to the needs of the people. Today we anticipate and wait for our "flavor" Mustang to become available and you know what happens when you sit and wait for something you always wanted? It never lives up to your expectations.

Now add this point. Remember back when the aero fox's came out? They were selling like hot cakes. After a few years people were sick of seeing them (at least were I live). I remember hearing, "so what kind of car do you have?" I have a me2, "whats a me2? You drive a Mustang, me2. Point I am trying to make is we are going on the 4th model year of the latest Mustang and they already had sales slumps without any competition! Ford needs to launch these specialty cars more then one at a time with out any limitations. Make Henry Ford smile again from the grave.

Just hope they learned from their mistakes. It wasnt that people didnt want a high tech Mustang or even a more exclusive costly one for that matter. What they did want was to feel they got their monies worth. Best way for that was to make sure it outperforms every thing in it's class and especially under it. Granted price wise it was on par if not maybe cheaper then the high tech Starions and Conquest TSi's of the day however in the same showroom you had a much cheaper Mustang GT that had some serious balls. If only they produced the Mustang SVO with the 16valve 2.3L Turbo, twin overhead cam they were going to do before getting axed. :( I believe that lil 2.3L Turbo 4v was supposed to have 275hp back in 1987!!! Can you say SHAZAAM!!!

IMO having different engines is an excellent way to distinguish the various specialty cars. It allows individuality and makes things more interesting and fun for the competition rather then everyone racing with the same motor, same mods.

I understand your point you are right however there are some acceptable standards.

Although I respectfully disagree I think you are right with the decision for different reasons. Just wanted to mention first that this reminds me of the high end luxury cars of the late 80's when GM had the Allante and Chrysler had the TC Maserati. Ford had a concept car called the Vignale but didnt want to go into production cause they felt the market was deminishing for such cars right around the recession and it had. I have more faith this time around for a Ford high performance car for a few reasons: economy is still booming, demand is high, we are dealing with a smaller market segment bearing less impact on the companies future, it would be a flagship car that attracts more buyers attention to the company, and once again Ford is void in this area cause they really shouldnt be using the Mustang to compete with the Corvette. It's totally apples and oranges. Wow I hope I made sense in what I wrote, I have to stop responding so late at night, I am half asleep and fell asleep a few times, should I hit send? The heck with it lol...

Nick :)

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

In this day and age with 7+ liter small block V-8 engines, the chances that we will ever see a new "factory" big block V-8 engine are slim to none.

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Like I wrote, the term is undefinable. So it doesn't matter. What matters is HP.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I'd say the definition would be similar to the answer to "What's the difference between a 351W and a 352FE block?"

Reply to
WindsorFox

On Oct 7, 12:31 am, WindsorFox

But you can't take that 352FE, compare it to other [brand of] engines and say to be a "big block" it must meet these dimensions.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

On Oct 6, 2:37 am, "Nicholas Anthony" <

Stock 5-ohs dyno in the 190s rw. My Cobra did 220-230 something.

After the Cobra MAF

The bigger injectors likely had it running too fat (too rich). The stock 19s are good up to around 300.

Again, your car should be making about 300.

If it was mine, I'd definitely sort of your lack of power and maybe, maybe upgrade the brakes. I'd leave its appearance dead stock. Why alter something that's already rare and different?

No, Mustang IIs had tape & badge upgrades. These new versions are better in every way compared to their "legendary" fore bearers. IMO, they enhance the legend.

No, it's not. It's about keeping the Ford brand alive.

I think the GT500 stands out pretty good. Same can be said the Mach Is, Bullitts, Cobras, and R models.

Trust me. The good ol' days weren't that great.

Try this. Go buy a old one then drive it (and only it) day in and day out every single day. It won't take long for you to miss a modern car.

When you have a good thing that happens.

And gas prices have shot up to 3 bucks a gallon too. Seen truck sates lately?

I'm all for more too, but I think Ford is doing pretty good. Just Since the new car was released they've come up with a 'vert, Hertz GT, Shelby GT, GT500, GT500KR, the pink breast cancer car, California Special, and now a GT500KR S/S.

I say we should be counting our blessings.

The SVO died because the 5-oh GT out performed it for thousands less.

Best way for

But it's history now.

Yes, it would be nice to see a modern version.

I agree 100%. But emission standards make it hard these days to offer lots of engines.

Yes, within a brand, but not from brand to brand.

I agree. But at least we [still] have the Mustang.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L