How to replace speedo cable on 65 4-speed

Hi all,

The speedometer needle on my 65 jumps around all over the place and doesn't go over about 30 mph. This cluter is out of a 66. I replaced the speedo with the original "long" 65 speedo. No luck, same deal. So, I have surmised that the cable must be the culprit. I know that I can get a new one for twenty bucks from any of the supply houses. I'm not sure, however, what is involved in changing the cable. The car is a 65 fastback A-code, 289 4-speed (toploader). Can anyone either give me tips on how to change the cable or maybe give me other leads to follow.

Thanks in advance, Richard

65 Shelby GT350 clone 70 Boss clone convertible
Reply to
richard_leblanc

I had a similar problem on a 60 chevy, it turned out that grease from the cable had gotten into the cluster end and had fouled the needle disk. The cable turned a magnet and magnet turned the disk which the needle was on. So cleaned out the grease that was connecting the cable magnet to the disk, and that fixed it.

Reply to
Zoma

Or it might need the cable to be lubed. Mine is doing the same thing right now and I just got the lube for it (just in time for a 3 day weekend :0).

Reply to
veegerNO SPAM

Reply to
richard_leblanc