Speedo cable

92 with 191k on it and automatic transmission. The speedo has gotten erratic and reads all over the place. Can the core be replaced from the head end only, without disconnecting it from the tranny? What is the approved lube for the core?

If I can do it from the head end, it is a DIY job. I am no longer able to crawl under the car to get at the transmission end and would need to take it in.

True there may be other things causing the problem. No matter what access to the head end will be required so I might as well try the easy approach first.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

If the inner cable is damaged, there is every chance that the outer cable may bear damage at the same time....

Others may have differing opinions but, personally, I prefer to make the repair once and be done with it.... the few dollars that MIGHT be saved just aren't worth the frustration of doing it all over again later.

Reply to
Jim Warman

This sounds like the same problem I had. Does this describe your symptoms? "My 94 Explorer's mechanical speedometer behaves erratically above about

55 mph. It swings while driving a steady speed, and generally reads 5-10 mph too HIGH."

A problem with the cable will cause a "ticking" of the speedo needle, at the rpm the cable spins at, which is proportional to speed.

Search this newsgroup for the thread "91-94 Mechanical Speedometer" if you're interested in the technical explanation. The bottom line is that it is the speedo head, and that's what you have to replace. I got mine at a junk yard for less than $20.

Yes, you can simply remove the head and replace it, read that thread for info on how to remove the head from the cable.

It's not practical to repair the head. A tiny bushing is worn, you can't simply lube it.

This info does not apply to '95's and later, they use an electronic speedo with no drive cable.

-Paul

Reply to
Paul G.