If you have your choice...

Well, if your somehow connected to KB, maybe you can get me one for free. I'll do some "Testing" :^)

Reply to
Gill

yesterday driving in traffic next to a black c5 z06 - plate said blownls6 - sounded mean as hell and had a weird whistle while cruising

driver told me "408 iron block with f-1 (?) procharger"

needless to say i didn't even try in my stock pulley cobra...

=)

Reply to
Chris Shea

Yeah if gas was .50 cents a gallon again. Right now if I want to beat just about anybody in the 1760 dash I'll do it via motorcycle and do it cheaply as well. If gas goes any higher it will be time to go Prius shopping.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

The only connection I have with KB is they have a got a good bit of my money over the years. One thing I can tell you is that driving a car with a twin screw blower, that is properly tuned, will put a grin on your face that Ajax can't remove.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Wow! Now THAT'S the best of both worlds! Or three, or four. I think the f-1 is a step over the D1-SC Enough CFMs for up to 1000hp

Reply to
Gill

I work out of the basement of our house. My morning and evening commute burns about 10 calories. My major fuel expense is for coffee. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Ok, Torque. Granted. However, if you have a V8 that is already hard to keep hooked up in 1st, it seems better to put the power where you are (can) use it. What's the point of having that much torque if you have to start from the line is 2nd?

I have a built 331 and I am going the centrifugal route. It has the added caveat of not needing to punch a whole in my hood. 8)

Reply to
Alias

For me, the torque makes for a more enjoyable driving experience. The centrifugal blowers make the bulk of their power in the 5,000-6,000 rpm range. This means in third gear, for example, you will need to be north of 90 mph to really get into the meat of the power band. With a twin screw I can have huge power increases from idle to redline. I can be in third gear at 2,500 rpm and roll into the throttle and accelerate straight to redline with a rush of acceleration or maybe to the speed limit if that is more prudent. It's the same for any gear actually. It is truly like having a very strong running, high rpm, big block engine under the hood.

At the track, the added low end torque will get you off the line quickly if you set the suspension up properly and use slicks. The twin screw's torque curve puts more area under the curve which is what wins drag races. If you take two cars, one with a twin screw and the other with a centrifugal, and they have near the same peak hp levels, the twin screw will usually win if the cars are basically equal in other respects. Also, twin screws are more efficient than centrifugals so more power gets to the wheels. One other plus is that twin screw engines can be set up for very high rpm air flow without loss of low end performance because they produce full boost by 2,000 rpm and a great deal of it is there just off idle too. This isn't so with centrifugals as they don't produce enough low/mid range boost to overcome the loss of low/mid range torque on an engine set up for high rpm air flow.

Centrifugals are f> Ok, Torque. Granted. However, if you have a V8 that is already hard to

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Not a reality that many enjoy.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

If you have to start from the line in 2nd either you don't know what you are doing, or you don't have the car setup properly.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I hear the same statement from my wife.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

She did mention something about never being able to get you out of the freakin house :)

I would have thought that Telecommuting would have caught on a lot more then it has by now.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

It has made me somewhat of a hermit. I have lost my office social skills and am less patient, in general. Maybe I need to leave the basement more. :)

I don't telecommute since I'm self employed. In my area there are a number of people who work from the home either full time or part time. I can see where it wouldn't work for people who aren't self motivated. There is no pressure at home to work like there is in an office environment. For me, the freedom it affords is wonderful.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I think I might have to dig one and spend more time in it.

Well it is sort of kinda like that.

What is so special about your area that a higher % then normal people work from home, or is it just happenstance?

Well I must admit that I am not overly motivated to work, but I am fairly motivated by money and working is the only way I know to get it. Other then marrying it that is.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I live in the Washington, DC area and traffic is horrible. Also, there is a shortage of skilled workers. I think it is this combination that makes employers offer telecommuting either full time or part time in order to attract workers. I probably know more telecommuters because many engineers and land developers are self employed working from home.

I'm not overly motivated myself but greed and staying out of traffic work for me too.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE