What would you charge?

Always hard to come up with a price on a modified car, especially one with high miles, 153,000 in this case, though almost all of the mods were done after 110,000 miles, and the car was driven gently before that.

The blue book value has dropped so low that I am pretty sure I would have to give the buyer money to take it. (slight exaggeration)

Here is the setup.

1991 Mazda Miata (red) > Hard Dog Hardcore Double Diagonal with pad/cover > SSR Competition (Type C) 16x7" lightweight wheels (near mint, maybe 30K miles

on them, never touched a curb)

Tires need to be replaced > '94 1.8L bottom end (8.8:1 compression) (recent seals, belts, less than 30K ago) > '99 head & intake manifold (valve job ~40,000 miles ago) > ARP head studs > ACT Extreme clutch > Flyin' Miata/Fidanza lighthweight flywheel > '99 Torsen differential (4.3:1), '00 axles & driveshaft > Flyin' Miata aluminum radiator > Coolant reroute to exit at rear of head > Mazdaspeed motor mounts > Linearized temp gauge, tach modified for quicker response > No AC, no PS, manual crank windows and non-power mirrors > Momo Champion steering wheel with adapter kit > 5 point harnesses in addition to factory belts > CD player & headrest speakers > Boost (in eyeball vent) & Exhaust temp gauge (below stereo) gauges > Garrett ball bearing GT2871R turbo w/ ATP turbo T3 .86 A/R exhaust housing > Tial 40mm external wastegate w/ .4 bar spring > ETD Racing "shorty" turbo header > Custom downpipe by Corky Bell w/ flex sections & wastegate joined in at Cat > Racing Mazda 3" high flow cat, bolt-in > Enthuza Racing 3" single outlet turbo exhaust > 18"x8"x3" bar & plate intercooler from Bell Intercoolers > Silicone hose couplings, T-bolt clamps > Vishnu dual feed fuel rail > RC 550cc/min injectors > Flying Miata Blow-Off Valve > 1996 Brake brackets, rotors and calipers > Racing Beat Short Shifter > Voodoo Black shift knob > Voodoo black brake handle > Leather Shift Boot > OEM top and window in very good condition (needs to be installed) > Windshield replaced less than 50K miles ago, very nice condition) > Racing Beat front & rear swaybars > Racing Beat front swaybar & under engine brace > Adjustable sway bar end links > Flyin' Miata rear suspension brace > Flyin' Miata front shock tower brace > Single-piston hood prop > Flyin' Miata poly bushings > KYB AGX adjustable shocks > Ground Control coilover sleeve kit > Flyin' Miata stainless steel brake & clutch lines

The car has one small quarter panel dent, a small tear in the front fascia from a parking lot warrior, and a small amount of hail damage to the hood. It has never taken a hard hit. I could get considerable more parting it out, but I have had enough of that.

I have had one offer that was insulting and one that I am mulling over, just curious what you would let it go for if you were selling it.

There will probably be a Craigslist - Austin link to it later this week....

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Pat, I know you're tired of parting out Miatas but just putting this back to stock and selling off the parts would probably net you more than the car itself wouldn't it? Wouldn't it be worth doing one more time at least for the simple satisfaction that your 'baby' wasn't given away for what seems like scrap metal money after all the time and effort you've given her? Cooler weather's coming, it might not be all that bad however, I know sometimes enough is enough and you gotta walk away. Maybe I can head to Austin one weekend and we can tear into it, turn it back to stock and clean up all the parts, whatdaya think?

Best of luck with it, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Thanks, restoring it to stock would require replacing the entire drive line, computer system, and a lot of the suspension. If the car was cherry, maybe, but I don't think it will be worth the labor considering the faded paint, dent and dings.

I will probably part it anyway, though I do have one person who is interested and understands what what put into it. We'll see if his offer is high enough.

The scary part will be if I clean it up and put Toyos on the SSR's. It might be hard to let go at that point, until it gets hot again....

Oh yeah, the car was almost completely modified by the PO. I have mainly maintained it and had the one timing belt issue. Not much blood, sweat or tears invested in this one from me.

Thanks again,

Pat

Reply to
pws

The car is worth the blue book MINUS the price of the mods. Nobody wants to buy a modded out POS that won't drive.

KG

Reply to
karl gruber

There is always someone who wants to buy a modded out POS that won't drive...only problem is usually you can only find that someone by looking in the mirror.

Reply to
Tex

The price of any car is always exactly what the seller and buyer agree upon, never higher, never lower. That is a simple fact.

I could sell this one for nearly double the blue book value today, (several offers), and it could be driven with confidence to the buyer's street residence anywhere in the country after replacing the tires.

So much for your modded out POS that won't drive theory. So much for your mods detracting value theory as well. Mods detract value from new Corvettes, not from 17 year old Miatas.

I am holding out for a bit more and may continue to use it as my daily driver this winter since the A/C will not be an issue for a while.

That would make it my third year of using this car almost exclusively as my daily driver, even though it "won't drive", according to you.

Thanks for the advice, even though it is completely wrong. Very helpful stuff there.......

Pat

Reply to
pws

Nice to get some helpful input from the guys, eh Pat? What's the world coming to? You nailed it though, on the value of the car just be careful you don't pass up a 'reasonable' buyer in hopes of finding the perfect buyer. Lot's of times, they don't show up on our schedules and you can't always get that reasonable buyer back! Hope it works out good for you either way.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Yeah, I am not trying to get rich from the sale, but I was trying to figure out how the car was worth roughly negative $12,000. ;-) People seem ready to pay a bit more than that.

I am also not sure how the one person figured that it did not run. I don't think that you were towing me down Lime Creek Road that day, but I may be wrong.....

Pat

Reply to
pws

SOLD! Send car and money please.

Reply to
XS11E

Not so fast there buddy, I was not born yesterday and I want maximum dollar loss here.

Do I hear neagtive $13,000? Negative $13,500? Going once, going twice..... :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I'll go negative $12,500 but no lower.