More "pie in the sky" alternate fuel nonsense

My point about the tar sands changes this, however. When the price of oil gets to a certain level, the tar sands will be completely cost viable, almost guaranteeing the price will eventually level out as the tar sands become the most dominant petroleum source, and reliance on OPEC oil will be eliminated.

I couldn't agree more.

I guess we agree again. I personally think we're out of control on energy waste. I see the price of fuel as a blessing: hopefully it goes high enough so that people become more prudent. Besides, I've always scratched my head over why people are so caught up in complaining about a refined product that sells for a paltry 80 or 90 per litre when a litre of milk is two or three times as much.

Reply to
pawn

Much as precious metal prices can rise high enough for "played out" mines to become profitable again.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I appreciate pawn's point, and I hope he's right, and I hope that an oil-supply respite from tar sands wakes us up to the long term resource problem we face. If the production cost of tar-sand oil is comparable to that of alternative energy sources, we just might have a chance of avoiding disaster. If it's lower I'm afraid we'll just keep doing what we've been doing -- drinking from the trough with no thought for the future.

Reply to
rw

Considering the traditional animosity between Russia and China, and with China's growing power and Russia's weakened power, Russia may be less disposed to supplying the Asian market. While their primary production is natural gas supplied to Europe, a lot of advancement with US Corporate assistance should open up additional oil reserves not previously available due to frigid conditions and a lack of technology necessary to get it out of the ground. May not amount to much, but it may be of some help. What concessions may be required to broker the deals is in question.