Mustang dies out upon warming the engine

I have a 88' Ford Mustang GT 5.0. I've changed the fuel filter, the spark plugs, the air cleaner, and the distributor, but it still dies out after the engine gets warm. Any ideas of what's going on

-- NIck

View this thread:

Send from

NIck

What do you mean 'dies out'? Do you mean it wont idle but otherwise runs fine?

Like it stalls when you pull up to a stop?

If so, on the scant info you give describing problem, I suggest replacing the IAC. Also called Idle Speed control & Idle Air ByPass valve. located on the throttle body. If a California car, also clean the MAF.

Why did you change the distributor? The shotgun fix is replacing the ignition module... was that the idea? Remember that module needs heat conducting grease.

If you are keeping this car, I suggest, at least, a Haynes book. You are going to need it...that car will have it's share of niggling little faults that come with age... relatively easy to find and fix, but requires knowledge of its systems. Better still a Ford shop book.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

You should also check fuel pressure "when it dies out". The guage kits are less than $20 from Harbor Frieght. I replaced the electric pump in my '90. And FOUR times after that over the next 3 or 4 years. Finally purchased a Ford pump (and not a Checker Auto unit) and it has been fine for the last 3 years.

hank

plugs, the air cleaner, and the distributor, but it still dies out after the engine gets warm. Any ideas of what's going on?

Reply to
hank

Just a question, but if the distributor was replaced, was the timing set right? Would that cause stalling? Not my area but the thought came up.

Reply to
Spike