Mustang Kicks A Goat. News At Eleven.

"Bill Jones" wrote in news:AXrwd.13$% snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

No problem - that's what this forum is about. Exchaning ideas and points of view.

I think it can. Did I miss something? I mentioned "steering feel". If we're talking about "roadholding" meaning skidpad numbers, then yes, it's definitely measureable. The "lane changing" has to do with tons of factors, the driver being the first one. To me, that's a totally subjective thing.

Not at all. It's just that the numbers are so close for roadholding, I wonder if you could feel that difference at all. I'll bet that if the tires had 20,000 miles on them, the numbers would change by more than one hundredth of a 'g'.

Knowing how subjective C&D is to begin with, I have to question what they mean by "objective" handling tests.

That's my point - the winner was chosen based more on opinion and less on fact.

I'm dying to drive one!

I'm afraid that if I drove one I'd have to have one. There's no way I could afford a car like the GTO, so the new Mustang would be perfect for someone like me on a tighter budget. That's where Ford hit the nail on the head IMO.

Best of luck next spring when you pick up your '05, Bill!

Joe

"John C." wrote in news:B7twd.1629$5m3.1298@trndny04:

As I replied to Bill, roadholding yes, lane changing no. Lane changing depends way too much on driver reaction, how quick they hit the steering wheel, etc. Way too subjective.

Since I haven't driven either, I can't say from experience. However, I'd expect the GTO to handle like you described simply because of its weight.

Indeed! I'm just a sucker for the power. :)

Again, like I replied to Bill, there's no way I could afford a GTO, so the Mustang is the car to get.

Joe

C&D had a pretty funny way of explaining why they did this comparo: "The selection process for this comparison began with a mental gathering of four-seat coupes costing from $25,000 to $35,000. Included were the 238-hp Mazda RX-8 and the 298-hp Infiniti G35 coupe, and even a 240-hp Honda Accord V-6 coupe was briefly considered. In the end we decided you had to have a V-8 to play, so we were left with two cars-the Ford Mustang GT and the Pontiac GTO."

Any thoughts which of these -- the Stang, the GTO, the RX-8, the G35, and the Accord -- would have won? (Hint: NOT the Stang.)

You can read the whole story at

Out TS 28

Reply to
one80out

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1103334510.213499.103200 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

That alone is bizarre. $25k to $35k is quite a spread.

Well, let's see. Only considering the two V8 cars, there's a $5k difference, a solid vs. multilink rear, a 300/325 vs. 400/400 motor, about 200 lb. difference, and some other stuff thrown in for good measure. IMO, you get what you pay for. Oh, it's interesting that nobody's mentioned braking yet. The GTO stopped three feet short of the Mustang even though it's heavier.

Not being able to guess those guys' mindsets, I have no idea which one they would've picked. But I'll bet lots that the Mazda, Infinity, and Honda would've beat both the Mustang and GTO up in the handling department - probably braking also.

Thanks for the link, Philly. It confirmed my decision never to buy a C&D (except for pure entertainment) again. Those guys have been doing what they do way too long.

Joe