Mustang light body repair question

I just had the first dent and scratch put on my 2002 Mustang, and needless to say I'm sick about it. It's right above the gas door. I got it while filling up, by carelessly putting the nozzle in the slot. The rubber rim piece at the top of nozzle pressed too hard ( I guess) against the body, right above the flap, and left a small (not very deep- but deep enough to notice) dent about the size of a nickel. The scratch it left is about a half an inch long and about 2/16 of an inch wide. Question: Do you think it would be possible to get rid of the dent and scratch myself (either through waxing and a home dent repair kit etc.)? Or do you think I should take it up to the Ford dealer and let them fix it? And if I take it to a dealership, do you have any iestimates about how much it would cost me?

Thanks, Gretchen

Reply to
Gretchen Metz

I'm with the paintless dent removal outfit idea. They usually do a great job for about $100.00. Sometimes they can't remove the whole thing, but it will come damn close. You can noodle around with some glaze and polish to finish it up at home, enough that it won't be noticible.

When fueling a vehicle, it is always a good idea to use the 2-handed approach to placing a filler nozzle in the gas tank, just like bikers do: one hand grips the handle, the other cups the nozzle tip and guides it gently into the filler pipe, to prevent damage and spillage. This is also often done with a clean rag rather than the bare handed approach. Yes, you will get fuel on your hands - it goes with the territory. Disposable rubber gloves will help, as well as using a couple of scented baby wipes to clean the hands before reentering the vehicle. The female passengers appreciate this.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

"JD Adams" *with some creative snippage* | | When fueling a vehicle, it is always a good idea to use the 2-handed approach | to placing a filler nozzle in the gas tank, just like bikers do: one hand | grips the handle, the other cups the nozzle tip and guides it gently into the | filler pipe, to prevent damage and spillage.

*snip* |The female passengers appreciate this. | | -JD |

*evil smirk*

Uh huh JD...

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Hey JD, did your page move some where else? I keep getting a forbidden error.

Reply to
Greg B.

Are paintless repair shops able to remove very "small dents"... (or another way to put it): "large dings"? I would think that they would need to be able to get to the rear side of the panel where the dent is in order to fix it so they can tap it out from the rear. I know they have these suction cup type tools that will allow them to pull low impact dents out from the front side, but I would guess that this type of method will not work when you have a relatively high impact small dent. I have a small dent on my trunk... looks like a golf ball hit it fairly hard. Dent is only about a 1/16" deep and maybe 2" in diameter total, but of course it spoils the clean flat finish that the trunk once had, thus spoiling the appearance of the entire trunk surface, and ultimately spoiling the appearance of the whole back of the car for that matter. It's amazing how one small dent can have such a large impact on appearance. The rest of the car can be 100% mint, but any tiny dent instantly attracts ones eyes and ruins the whole presentation. ;) I wonder if they could take a dent out like that without being able to get to the rear side of the panel. Being that the dent itself is of a rather small diameter, I cannot imagine a suction cup small enough to grab the inside of the dent... unless they have some other schemes. Anyone have any experiences with paintless repair shops? Perhaps they go to great lengths to get to the rear side of the panels (via removing panels and/or cutting away inner sheetmetal ribbing of panels, etc) -thanks

Reply to
zed

Reply to
Gretchen Metz