Need help not Mustang but still Ford

Subject vehicle is a 1995 Mercury Tracer with the 1.9 liter engine. (CA. spec.). The car stumbles at speed and suffers from a severe power roll off at mid to high RPM. KOEO=111(good) KOER=111, cylinder balance test =538,(odd I know) which I assume to mean cylinder ID failure. Besides the camshaft position sensor what other components make up the CID circuit?

Reply to
Ironrod

I always thought that was typical with Ca emissions.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Reply to
Ironrod

Isn't 11 KOEO(R)=OK? and 538=insufficient RPM change? Meaning a cylinder is already crapped out and it doesn't make a change in RPM when it is turned off?

Are the old plugs looking bad, oily? Did you do compression or leakdown test?

Reply to
GILL

Actually there are 3 different meanings for 538 according to my book. A 538 during the KOER test would indicate insufficient RPM change. But I only get the code when I do the balance test. As I recall how the test works the PCM drops the injectors one at a time and looks for a RPM drop to verify the cylinder was working. It's when one of the cylinders is dropped and it doesn't see any change that it knows that that particular cylinder wasn't working to start with. Problem is the PCM won't enter the balance test to start with. Which leads my back around to a possible problem with the CID ckt. I'm assuming it won't enter the test because it doesn't know which cylinder is which. Which brings me back to my original question. Besides the CMP what other sensors are in the CID circuit?

Reply to
Ironrod

Try alt.autos.ford. The traffic is pretty low in here lately.

Reply to
GILL

Symptoms, erratic idle, loss of power, engine stumble. Seems to be an ignition problem. Possible failure points: Camshaft position sensor, ignition module, crank trigger, coil pack, spark plugs and wires to name a few. And the winner is

"broken woodruf key?!"

Seems the dampener came loose and sheared the key. The trigger ring was moving causing the timing to be out of alignment. Found it when I was replacing the crank trigger.

Reply to
Ironrod

Good job! I think I would reset computer just to make sure it doesn't have any bad habits stored.

Reply to
GILL