still need some help

Type of car.. 1991 lebaron 3.0 My car is HARD to start (now) before it was running real sluggish.. acting like it wanted to stall out (actually did stall out).. but only while driving it (steady pressure on the gass peddle) when it started to act like it wanted to die out I would give it full throddle and it would stop for a bit but then go right back to acting the same way..i replaced the fuel filter and that seemed to help for about 1 hour.. I parked the car for the night and went to start it the next morning and the same thing was happening... I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes and now when I try to start the car all I get is a single click and then everything goes dead..

Ok.. now the questions..

1.. what could possibly be wrong..

2.. how do I check the codes..

3.. why won't she start now after I disconnect the battery (I should say I CAN jump start it with pressure on the gas peddle but once I remove my foot from the gas peddle the car dies out right away)..
Reply to
jburns09

Clean and tighten all battery, alternator and starter connection. Have battery tested. Check for vacuum leaks.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Lots of things

Put key in ignition and turn it to the RUN position(this is just before the start position)and then quickly turn key to the OFF position(not acc.position). Do this THREE times in a row and but on the third time leave the key in the run position and start counting the flashes of the check engine light and voila!You got codes!

Or you could google "OBD1 CODES" or"CHRYSLER CODES" or"CHRYSLER TROUBLE CODES"(see where Im going with this?)and probly find a whole shitload of info that is more clear than my attempt to explain it to you.

Reply to
jim

You could easily be describing a dirty or loose battery connection or a bad battery.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Shep

Reply to
ANTHONY DIODATI

Now you're getting sassy. I'll have to ask you to leave, sir. : )

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I'll have to admit, I have little respect for someone whose only refuge when there is a problem is to run to the dealership.

Reply to
<HLS

Hey!

Watch your quoting please!

I did 'not' say that insulting post at all, some dude named shep did:

Mike

Mike Romain

That's almost as bad as your insulting generalization about dealership mechanics. Yeah, *they're* the problem. Especially the ones

-including myself- that help out in forums such as this. I don't give plummers a bad rap...

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

You are correct. I just have seen far too many shops that deserve the '$tealership' label. I have to go through BS every time my wife takes the vehicle in for service. I then have to either get on the phone or go there to set the asshole straight.

For instance the muffler shop has twice 'insisted' that the Cat 'has' to be replaced when the other pipes are done, yet there are no holes or rattles and it passes emissions easily. It just has a rotted heat shield on it.

She took it in for a brake inspection because of a low pedal, more to just get them to remove the damn wheels they hammered on with their air gun and was told it needed everything including e-brake cables with a written quote of over $2100.00.

The brakes were actually less than a year old including all new cables and when I inspected them, all that was wrong was a broken rear shoe hold down pin!!!! The local 4x4 shop gave me one for free when I went and asked or I could have bought a spring kit for $15.00 or so.... It also had a ding in the front caliper slide bar slightly holding up the pad that was 'not' diagnosed.

I caught the local Jeep $tealership charging taxes on non taxable items like the Canadian emissions test. They charged me tax 3 times before I caught on. They do thousands of them and are 'stealing' the tax money they charge.....

And on and on and on.....

Mike

Mike Romain

Everywhere you go there will be dishonesty and incompetence. I've seen more of it at the independant level than at the dealer level. I finally chose to stay at a dealer based on my experiences. There is incompetence and thievery even where I work, but it is isolated to a few butchers. I feel for the customer every time (s)he gets his car back from one of these 'mechanics'. The management doesn't care because they turn time. The butchers don't care because they have no concience.

My first dealer job was full of 100% great, honest techs that genuinely cared about their profession. So I've had opposite experiences from an employee standpoint. Sometimes a total butcher (indie) could feed a customer horseshit and the sap would eat it up, because he was getting the labor for $15 less than at the dealer.

BTW, what muffler shop are you referring to that is considered a 'dealership'?

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I was a passenger in a car that was T-boned on the passenger size door 2 years ago while I was in it. The cars were write offs... The MRI of my neck shows the spaces between vertebra C3, C4, C5, C6 and C7 as compressed with nerve root damage affecting my left side and C5 is pressing on my central nerve cord affecting my feet. I also bounced off the door frame hard with my head and the MRI shows a stroke happened and as a result of that I have permanent double vision and light sensitivity in my right eye only with no sense of smell on that side and right - left movement issues. Let alone my damaged knee and ankle....

But beside that, I gave up working on exhausts years ago because they are too much trouble and we had to take the Jeep to the shop for an 'inspection' to get the damn wheels off so my wife could remove them at home in the driveway for me to fix the brakes. She couldn't get the lug bolts loose even using a pipe on the T-bar wrench.

So I see you have no 'comment' in the other thread you attacked me on about the 'codes' my Jeep throws eh? LOL!

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain