Needing opinions

I'm turning my '69 Sportsroof into a quasi-clone of Dan Gurney's '69 Boss

302 (the blue one with white stripes). I've seen some of the vintage racers with the spoilers painted white, others body color, and others just leaving them black. I even saw one picture from '69 where the front spoiler was painted black on one side and white on the other. I know the original Trans Am teams didn't even use rear spoilers, but they are common now on the clones and vintage racer's (plus they look cool).

I'm using a combination of the color and side stripes from this car...

the hood stripe from this car...
The interior is black. I even have Minilites for the wheels which are being white powdercoated like the second link.

I know it all comes down to what I think and want, but I'm not sure which I like best. black, white, or body color? What do you guys think?

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I have a very small picture of DG's # 2 car circa 1969 if you want I'll email it to you. Just to bug you it has black ARE 200S wheels on it! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Sure send it my way, delete "_spammit_" from the addy. Weren't the 200S's the *daisy* wheel?

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Yep, IIRC they had problems with them cracking that is why later pics show the cars with Mini-lites. I had a set of 200S on my '70 mach in Grabber Orange, made the car look like a T/A BOSS at a glance. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

"Stuart&Janet" wrote > Yep, IIRC they had problems with them cracking that is why later pics show the cars with

car look like a

Cool! So what's your opinion on my spoilers then? Leave'em black, paint'em white to match the stripes, shoot them in body color for a more modern look, or a variation of one of the above?

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Personally I'd leave the front spoilers in the natural black. Two reasons. One, they are ABS plastic so they are a pain to keep paint on. Okay Krylon Fusion might work but the possible rock shots would make it look bad fast. Two, they wouldn't be white originally, although the half white half black one you made reference to was most likely done to aid the timers etc. to identify the car easily. Having done some racing in my time, it is often hard to distinguish identically painted cars at speed especially in poor visibility weather. We used to do stripes of blue and yellow 200 mile an hour tape so we could distinguish our Mustang from the pack of other Mustangs. The timers actually thanked us once at Watkins Glen! As for the rear spoiler. I'm of two minds. Originally they didn't have one so really anything goes. A white one would stick out quite a bit, whereas a semigloss black like the factory spoiler is, would be more subtle and likewise a body colour one would be similarly low key compared to the white. Which you want is up to you. My opinion overall would be to go natural black on the front and the back but I have a slight purist bent. Going white just sticks out too much for me ( but the car isn't really very subtle with a big white meatball on the side now is it?!) StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet