New cable internet / DSL users...

MAC, Linux, and Unix users move on. There's nothing to see here. This is for Windows® folks.

When you signed up with your new internet provider, they probably didn't mention that you're now one with the world. They didn't explain that you're now the primary target of hackers, bugs, malicious programs.

Hell, when you bought your computer, the store probably didn't mention that it came with Windows software that was just ripe for the pickin'.

There are three components (fourth, optional) that you must have RIGHT NOW.

1) A good antivirus program. I like F-Prot, myself, having used it for over 10 years now
No longer free, they now sell a newversion that is fairly idiot-proof (and idiot-proof is what we're going forhere). The New York Times tech editor was also able to point to AVG
as a FREE antivirus program,but I can't attest to its idiot-proofability. There are many other antivirusprograms out there, and we all have our favorites. The operative part being"have". Once you have an up-to-date antivirus program in place, you may findthat you're no longer able to open some of the attachments that come in youre-mails. That's a GOOD thing. 2) A firewall. You must have a firewall between your computer and the outside world. If you don't know what a router is, try
for the free version of ZoneAlarm. It's the veryleast you should have. A good firewall not only stops intrusions INTO yourcomputer, it should also stop your infected computer from reaching out whenit's not supposed to. 3) Once these are in place, hit the START button and look for a little thing called "Windows Update." Allow your computer to contact Microsoft, allow Microsoft to look for the critical updates you need, and then download them. One point to be made here: YOU should go to Microsoft; NEVER believe that Microsoft has e-mailed you, personally, with a program fix ("patch").

The fourth component is a really cool one, if you've been blithely surfin' the net with nary a care as to what websites you visited or how many pop-ups have appeared on your screen. From

's AdAware. Download this delightful little program and watch it run. Toput it simply, AdAware helps to stop ET from phoning home. dwight (12 copies of virii in my inbox today... I'm really gettin' annoyed)

Reply to
dwight

I've been looking for a good AV program. I had McAfee until the latest versions start gobering up the computer. I've never had a virus infect our computers (knock on silicon), and rarely have one show up on the 'puter through email. I've taught my wife what to avoid also. We're behind a Linksys router and the OSs are up-to-date. I've been eyeing Kaspersky's because the AV newsgroup appears to speak highly of it. At $50, it's a little pricey, and you can see that my built-in processor (aka my gray matter) works pretty good for avoiding the obvious. Any opinions?

--

-Keith '96 GT 5spd ... with an '02 engine

Reply to
Keith

it's AdAware. Download this delightful little program and watch it run. To> put it simply, AdAware helps to stop ET from phoning home.>

Reply to
John W

Dwight, you only got twelve............At last count, just today,

73................nope, make that 74 as one more just popped in as I am typing this...........................

Bill S.

dwight wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

at 18 Sep 2003, dwight [ snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net] wrote in news:bkdeuu$in43$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-40295.news.uni-berlin.de:

Erm, I use Unix (FreeBSD actually) for my router/gateway/firewall system but W2K for my workstation. So I guess I'm not moving on just yet. :-)

[...]

Aha! 99% of all viri and spam gets nabbed before it reaches my workstation. How? by a free lil combo on the unix box called MIMEdefang

  • SpamAssassin + Clam AntiVirus. No need for Zonealarm either (for which some viri/trojans are optimized to 'crack'). But yeah, barring a well configured Unix box as a guardian for your Swiss Cheese looking Windows box, your advice is excellent.

Only 1 spam (score 9.5 and my treshold is set at 10) and no viri today.

Reply to
Paul

at 18 Sep 2003, Keith [kmruk@spam_sucks_comcast.net] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

ve been looking for a good AV program. I had McAfee until the

I use FixIt as a 2nd line of defense on my W2K box. It is not just a virusscanner but a whoel toolbox with a registry cleaner, defragger and some other useful tools. Not as hogging as McAfee/Norton either. More info on it at

Paul

I've gotten about as many.

Not only that, I'm getting a bunch of returned emails that I didn't send. So I'm assuming that someone out there with my name in their address book is infected with a virus. The last time that happened, it was my father (he had the buggiest machine on earth - which was actually borrowed from my sister who was not too happy about it).

Steve Race car coming soon

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve
11 more in the last 20 minutes here.....

Bill S.

A Guy Named Steve wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I've been using AVG for 2+ years with no problems. You can get at

- look for the free version. The Zone Alarms freebie firewall is pretty good - not very customizable, but locks down your PC from prying eyes. Also, you can get the Google toolbar at
to stop pop-ups. All of these are free. bcc

Reply to
Chris Chandler

I've gotten another 3 or 4 since I posted.

Steve Race car coming soon

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Well... I was beginning to think I was the only unlucky shmuck getting 5 and

6 of these emails every 10 minutes or so. its driving me nuts. no amount of message rules seems to block them or delete them. most frustrating. and the bounced mail messages... those are driving me bonkers too.

death to the programmer of this god awful thing!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Snowy Rose

i just finally got my message rules straight and setup blocking almost anything from anyone who i dont know. the things we must do..

Reply to
John W

I recommend Kerio personal firewall more than anything else. (Used to be Tiny Personal Firewall.) Look up some reviews, and it's right there with the big-timers. And it's FREE. Can't go wrong. Also, for virus scanners, I've had Macafee and stuff on, but RAV has often been the only thing to pick up some of the weird stuff. You can do a free scan on their website. The other scans say I'm clean, and then RAV says I have three viruses.

Reply to
Brad
78 more overnight. All with the virus attached.

Bill S.

Snowy Rose wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.
64 of those Worm.Automat.AHB's quarantined since midnight! Has the whole dang net got the virus?

John

it's AdAware. Download this delightful little program and watch it run. To> put it simply, AdAware helps to stop ET from phoning home.>

Reply to
mooresjc

Damned, I got 62, complete with virii yesterday, and this morning, 113.

WTF is going on? The terrorist targeting PC's now?

Jeeze!

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Nope, must be going through the netgroup servers now. Boy am I in for trouble............

Bill S.

Ralph Snart wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

You're in trouble? I frequent several NG's, several of which I have recieved death threats from. hehehehehe. well, we'll see if the Nortons is up to the task...

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Dwight,

That is a good list for newbies.

it's AdAware. Download this delightful little program and watch it run. To> put it simply, AdAware helps to stop ET from phoning home.>

Reply to
Shane Metzler

The free verision of AVG is actually a really decient antivirus. I have used Mcafee, Norton, Command, and others. Since AVG is free it beats all of them...I have pros and cons for many different antivirus software, but you really cannt argue with free.

The same goes for ZoneAlarm, its free and it works...Black Ice is also good if you want to pay for it.

The Google Toolbar, who could live without it? Free pop-up blocker and an instant google search all in one...and it even does other things...

AdAware is great for anyone that downloads files from the internet and kazzaa and the such...You'd be surprised at how many programs are tracking you...This is also a free piece of software that no one should be without.

Shane

Reply to
Shane Metzler