new V6 vs. 5.0

I've heard people saying "the new V6 has more power than the old 5 liters." Comparing the specs, the new 6 does indeed have 210hp vs. the 5.0's 205hp; however, the new 6 has only 240 lb-ft torque while the 5.0 had 300 lb-ft. Clearly, the 5.0 would have the power advantage in a stoplight race (I hope?).

John V.

93 GT
Reply to
John

Power under the curve is more important than peak numbers. A 210 bhp V8 would have a higher average hp across the rpm band than a 210 bhp V6. In two identical cars they would both achieve a similar top speed, but the V8 would get there faster. Most consider the majority of the "old 5 liters" rated 225 bhp/300lbft.

Reply to
WraithCobra

Comparing the specs, the new 6 does indeed have 210hp

had 300 lb-ft. Clearly, the 5.0 would have the

for sure. the new car is also heavier. plus that 210 hp is only at a high rpm. Same story for the torque numbers. You will blow the v6 away with your 5.0.... on a straight line.. In the twisties the comparison between the two cars is a completely different story........ Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

There are other factors aside of weight to consider like gearing, perhaps wheelbase and weight distribution.

-Nick

Reply to
Nicholas D