That's One Pretty Chrysler!

While cruising home from work this evening I drove past my local Chrysler dealership. And there sitting right out front, all dressed in black, with the sun going down behind it, was a new Crossfire. Damn, what a pretty profile that car has! Long hood, short rear deck... this is the closest thing yet, IMO, to the looks of the original pony cars." But why didn't Chrysler offer it with some real horsepower/V8? I think if the had, and gave it a 20-something thousand dollar price tag, they'd have a 6-month waiting list. Oh well, at least the new Crossfire will help beautify the automotive landscape. Meanwhile, I'll be hoping that someday it'll have a V8 exhaust note burbling out its tail pipes...

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Simple. The Crossfire's target audience isn't the high-horsepower V8 crowd (read: Mustang drivers).

From their website: "Crossfire has captured the dream of the great American touring coupe..." Although, according to the specs, the anemic 215-hp, 229 lb. ft. torque 3.2 liter V6 produces "...98% of its peak torque available between 3000 and 4500 RPM."

They're going for "refined touring", not raw V8-type power. 2 cents.

Joe

How fast do you want to go? 148 mph - 150 mph governor limited is fast enough for me for a $35,000 car with strikingly good looks.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

I will make a prediction that the Crossfire walks the same path as the Ford Thunderbird. Just another over-priced, under-powered car that won't sell very well. I read "refined touring" and think "boring".

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Well...if you want a "IMHO"...keep in mind I'm a mustang fan for many years now, but started as a Dodge man.

This is what Style & Power should be like for Dodge.

Lord-Mustang

Reply to
Matt Mercer

When I saw one for the first time, it was parked inside the local Costco... If I had been a guy, I would have had to hold a pillow in front of my pants...

then I realized it was just a pretty face, no suds....

that bites.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I dunno...I don't like those 350Z/porche lines type cars... sorta dejavu...another me too, boring car in my book. It's going to take more that that to get them out of the hole.

2 cents.

Serge

Reply to
Serge

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Well, Michael, we're smarter than the marketing team thinks we are, right? ;)

Joe

It's not how fast it'll go; it's how fast it'll get there. How many times have you run it up into the 140s? I'd much rather have something like 0-60 in 5 flat and high 12's @ about 110 mph.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

I feel like we need to crash in on a Board of Directors meeting a scream at them to "Give us some F***ING TORQUE". The people that drive these cars want to feel a kick in the butt at 2,500 rpm, not a measly 180 ft-lbs at the wheels from 3,000-4,500 rpm. Hell, put the Hemi truck engine in that thing. That would get my attention. :)

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Michael, you're preaching to the choir. The sad truth is that you know these bean counters that run these companies don't give two sh*ts about us torque lovers. All they care about is their bottom line. They're in business for $$, not horsepower and torque - no matter what they say.

Although it would be good to go in to one of those meetings and smack those bastids around a bit. Maybe hit 'em upside the head with a rusty camshaft... ;)

Joe

True, but who is to say that horsepower and torque won't translate into big $$. If the market is large enough the $$'s will flow in.

Reply to
Richard

"Richard" wrote in news:5Dvab.983394$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.calgary.shaw.ca:

I doubt it will ever be. It's unfortunate IMO.

Joe