Moronic Automotive Ads

I'm at the gym tonight, getting ready to ride an exercise bike to get my legs warmed up before I go for a jog. I grab some old (2001) Women's Day or Family Circle type magazine that's lying around to look at to take my mind off my bike ride. I jump on the bike, I'm riding, and flipping through the magazine's pages. I get about half-way through and I run a crossed an ad for a Toyota Corolla. The ad picture shows this Corolla looking all aggressive sliding around a corner. But here's the best part. The caption under the ad... get this, "I Am Corolla. Hear Me Roar." I could not believe this shit! I damn near fell off the bike! I thought maybe the sweat dripping off my brow was affecting my vision. But it wasn't. That was their ad, and they weren't talking about the roar of their car's air conditioner. They were serious. Holy crap, what's next? 'I Am Toyota Echo. Watch Me Burn Rubber.' ??

The only other ad I can think of that's just as bad is Buick's current TV spot. The ad where Harly Earl's ghost says he's come back to build you great car, and then they show the Buick Rendezvous. Sorry Harley, the Rendezvous is an insult to your name. Please GM, pull this stupid ad. Save Harley for if Buick actually builds something that's worth looking at.

Anyone else, know of some other annoying automotive ads?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

bahahhahahaha toyota corrola "roar"? bahahahaha

Reply to
memsetpc

Moronic ads for moronic consumers.

My latest pick is the Mercedes/AMG ad with the housewife chasing the moster back under the hood as hubby hops in. Now thats a classy ad! NOT You can bet that Mercedes wouldn't even THINK of running that ad in Europe. Only the morons in the US get that gem.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

I don't know about annoying ones, but I love the new Hummer H2 ad! (boy builds H2 in his garage). The best part is when it starts to drift as he comes over a hill.

Steve Race car on the way.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I see that the eclipse commercial is back again with the rave girl showing off on the passenger side...

Reply to
RioRedGT

There's a funny commercial about this guy that buys the biggest SUV there is and when he parks it into his garage, it doesn't fit. He ends up destroying the whole garage.... I can't stop laughing at that one...

jason

Reply to
RioRedGT

Is that what that is? We call her "Spazzy Girl" - she appers to have stopped taking prescribed medication to me. The wife thinks she has Parkinsons.

-JD

_________________________________ JD's Locally-Famous Mustang Page: http://207.13.104.8/users/jdadams Please note: UCE is deleted at the ISP server level. Unless your address is on my 'accept list', your mail will never reach me. See my website for more information.

Reply to
JD Adams

That one is good too!

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO jealous of him... but I'll have my garage in a couple of days. I think it can hold a Buick.

Steve Race car on the way.

Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

Reply to
Linus

That damn Mitsu/2F2F ad where the guys are sitting in *parked* cars in the dealership showroom yelling "WOOOOOOO!" and "YEAH!". The only thing halfway good about that ad is when the salesdroids give each other that "Here we go again" look. :)

On the other hand, we have Mustang commercials, which are so rare as to be virtually extinct... I mean, I guess it says something about the car that they don't have to advertise and it's still a best seller, but it'd be *nice* to see a Mustang doing some of those "4-wheel drift on salt flats" types of ads.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

There's a Honda or Toyota ad where they talk about how reliable the cars are and show a welder welding the hood shut - I know it's just visual metaphor, but ever time, I sit there thinking "How in the hell would you change the oil?"

- a l e x

Reply to
a l e x

A l e x,

Didn't Audi have a line of cars a couple of years ago where the hood couldn't be opened, except by a dealer?

take care, Scott ensuring dealer rape for many years of motoring

Reply to
Scott Stevenson

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote

Hey, my wife and I just got one of those a couple months ago (an '01 with 40K on it). They're cool for what they are. Variable valve timing, 4-spd auto, AC, 4-spkr CD, tilt wheel, 37 mpg rain or shine, a mile of head room and shoulder room, huge trunk, all for less than $15,000 brand spankin' new. Really more impressive as an engineering accomplishment than any $250,000 190 mph supercar.

Ditto that. You wonder if anyone at that ad agency or GM even knows who Harley Earl was. The godfather of longer, lower, wider pimping for a truck?!! No, I don't think so. Not even one with portholes in the front fenders. I think Harley would do hari kari if he saw the vehicle mix on the road today. I've posted on this before, that the market is rejecting the whole longer, lower, wider aesthetic that GM introduced with the '59 model year. Just compare the dimensions of a Toyota Matrix and a 1940 Ford. Almost identical! Echos, Focii, Civics, everything, tall and narrow. Longer, lower, wider had a 45 year run, but it's all over now. We've gone back to the same mix as you might have seen in 1932. For the masses, tall and narrow grocery getters with the wheels pushed to the corners of the footprint, and giant luxo barges for the plutocrats.

This is an old one, but that Toyota pickup ad where the stubbly chinned hunky dude chases the blonde biker chick onto the motocross course and offers her an SAE wrench to work on her bike, like a

9/16ths of something. Like there's been a dirt bike built within the last 30 years with SAE fasteners on it. Then she says, no I need like an 8 mm, and he whips one out and with a smirk says "my favorite." A favorite wrench?

Well, yeah, it did leave a deep scar, now that you ask.

Runner up: any one of the Chevy Avalanche ads.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

The "Shappel Show" (Comedy channel) did a good spoof of this ad. He's driving all happy with his ride when the music starts and his girl starts doing the spaz dance in the front seat. He freaks, pulls to the curb, literally kicks the spazzy girl out, and picks up a better girl. Pretty funny.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Yes, I that was the Audi A2. That will fix those pesky car owners!

- a l e x

Reply to
a l e x

Wow. You in a FWD car...? Your first, right?

I heard the automakers are going taller because the population is getting taller.

I'd just like to see Buick known for a car again. Shoot, in a couple weeks from now if someone were to ask me to name a current Buick model, I'd have to think for a few minutes to come up with a name. Sad... Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote

Yeah.

You know what's really sad, and it applies to all GM makes, is that they've eaten the seed corn. What I mean is the feelings and associations I have toward GM cars from having grown up with them all around me, those feelings are completely missing from anyone younger than about 35 or 40 years of age. So when I see a Buick -- which is almost NEVER here in the SF Bay Area -- I remember and associate it with the 2-door Skylark that my buddy,the first guy to get a drivers license in our group, used to drive us around in when I was just 15. I remember the strange '59's with their eyebrowed faces, and the Electra 225's, low and wide and a half block long. Same deal with Chevys, Oldsmobiles, Cadillacs, Pontiacs. But thanks to the crappy products they've built for more than a complete generation now (20 years is a generation), today's car buying public, most of them, have no associations or experience with GM cars AT ALL. This is what is going to kill GM. Ten or 20 years down the road, I won't be surprised if GM has fallen behind Toyota and Honda, maybe Nissan too. It might not even be around anymore.

180 Out TS 28?
Reply to
180 Out

What idiot would buy a car that you can't open the hood?

Forget it, dumb question, I know quite a few people.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson