Ontario sales tax on used cars

Anyone know, when buying a used car from a car dealer in Ontario, do I have to pay PST, GST or both??

Thanks Keith

Reply to
KB

From a car dealer.......both tax

Reply to
furret

In Lotus Land (BC) you pay the GST & PST when you register the car if bought privately. As a consequence most registrations understate the actual transaction value. Then there's the issue of the luxury tax surcharge. Can't recall the current figure but a couple of years ago it was CDN$30,000.

Reply to
Richard

Hey KB,

Check out the following site for whatever info you'll need to transfer ownership in Ontario.

It seems that the tax rate is 8% in Ontario (I had to pay HST, 15%, for mine in Newfoundland) :(.

Hope this helps,

Greg Browne '96 Vee-Siques

  • Oceanic Consulting Corporation *
  • Current Work Term 1 of 6 *
  • Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science *
  • Memorial University of Newfoundland *
  • Academic Term 2 of 8 Completed *
  • snipped-for-privacy@engr.mun.ca *
Greg Browne

Oops,

That might be for private sales only.

I'm not sure what it would be from a dealer.

:)

Greg Browne