OT: Home repair question...

Okay, I am having issues with the doorbell. I think my end-all solution will be to run all new wiring, but it would be nice to avoid that.

One wire runs from the transformer in the attic to the terminal marked "trans" on the door bell.

One wire runs from the transformer in the attic to the button at the door.

One wire runs from the button at the door to the terminal marked "door" on the door bell.

You push the button, it completes the circuit, and the door bell rings.

Here is my problem. As soon as I get everything but one wire hooked up, I connect the last wire only to have the door bell go off. I am completely clueless. Short of having to run all new wire, anyone have an idea on what to check?

Thanks,

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Around 7/26/2003 1:51 PM, 2.3Sleeper spake thusly:

My guess would be a bad (stuck) switch. BTDT!

From your discription, when complete, the circuit should look like this: (A = Transformer, B = Bell, and C = Switch)

??A??B??C?? ???????????

Try taking the switch completely out of the loop:

??A??B??X?? ???????????

Hook everything up except for the switch. When you briefly touch the two bare wire ends together where the switch used to be (X), it should work like a normal doorbell.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

What does BTDT stand for?

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Been There Done That !

and he's right... those pesky little buttons commonly get stuck!

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

Trash it all and get a wireless doorbell. Besides being free from needing hardwire... if you don't mount the receiver/bell part, it's becomes portable... take it with you into the garage, cellar, attic, etc...

-= Francis Yarra =- fyarraATjunoDOTcom

- My drywall website
- My C64 website
- My personal website

Reply to
Nospam9212

Did that. That is the problem. As soon as I connect the final wire, it

*dongs*, even with the button not hoooked up outside. Something is not right somewhere.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

It is for a rent house, if we use a battery operated, then we have to worry about going and changing the batteries. My idea was for battery operated, but I got voted out.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

Since batteries are relatively inexpensive, one could even do it when the smoke detectors annual birthday battery is installed to avoid any surprises. Everyone does have smoke alarms, right??

Jim Warman

Don - You could do what I did. Buy a new house. I will be an okie in about one week. Sorry - No help on your actual issue. You still in Midwest City?

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

Reply to
Michael Seeley

Okay, can someone give me a lesson in "doorbells for dummy's"? My husband unhooked the doorbell which was working to hook up a new one and got the wires all mixed up. HELP can someone tell me what goes where? I have one group that is red, white, green and three groups which are red and white. There is only two buttons, front and back. I am assuming the one with the green comes from the transformer. BTW, there are three terminals, Front, Back and Trans.

Thanks in advance,

Deborah

Reply to
Deborah