Re: Roadtrip to see the mouse :)

Go to

and prepare your route through their maps.

Herman

My family and I are planning a trip to Disneyland in about a month. > We'll be driving my dad's Jetta from Seattle to Anaheim (no, not the > Mustang... I wouldn't want to stuff 4 people in an un-airconditioned car > in southern CA in August). :) > > Anyone have opinions on a nice route? I was thinking on the way down > we'd take 101 through WA, OR, and maybe a piece of northern CA (I'd like > to see the redwoods) and take I-5 the rest of the way after that, but > right now we're budgeting two days travel time (each way) for the 1200 > mile trip. > > So, any suggestions? Anybody done this trip before? I'll be doing most > of the driving, but I might trade off with my dad if I get tired (plus, > it IS his car...). Is 600-700 miles on 101 in one day even feasible? > > > -- > ~/Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch > My V6stang:
RAMFM Merchandise:
Herman

Hey Garth,

I did that trip many years ago with 4 people in a non-air conditioned 1987 Nissan Pathfinder (the 2 door version). That was a hot drive when we got to that long stretch of I5 north of the Anaheim area.

We started our trip after I got off work around 5:00 pm. We ended up in Sacramento early the next morning. We were going to stay the night there, but it seemed like a waste after we drove around a bit. Instead we just headed back out and made it to Anaheim later that evening. It's definitely not the most scenic route - it just depends on if you're looking to make good time.

Regarding the Winchester Mystery House, I went there when I was a child. It may or may not seem as cool now though.

Steve

99 Ford Ranger 4x4
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I think he said he was going in about a month, which is a couple of months before fog season (valley fog isn't a problem until we've had a good rain, and pretty cool temperatures). Actually, the fog isn't really the problem--it's the idiots who always drive 85 on that stretch of road, and don't let only 50' of visibility change their driving habits.

All I can say is that if you think I-5 through the valley has the worst traffic in the world, you haven't driven 99 much :-) (It's the Offical Road of People who Drive 30 Miles at 50 in the Left Hand Lane (tm)) Those people typically didn't get the optional Rear View Mirror package when they got the car, so they don't notice that cars are stacked up behind them like the start of a NASCAR race, including a couple with lights and sirens going.

Again, the worst wind over the Grapevine is usually during winter storms (sometimes in the spring/summer if the Santa Ana winds blow just right). In those situations, just about any mountain pass into LA is going to be pretty ugly. I will admit to having a driver's side window "sucked" out of a car once going over the Grapevine (gust of wind hit the passenger side, and as it flowed over the car, must have created a low pressure area on the leeward side--the window broke off cleanly where the bottom of the window met the door).

Having said that, there's only been a couple of times that I've driven down south that the weather was bad enough over the Grapevine that I've chosen an alternate route.

take care, Scott

Reply to
Scott Stevenson

I would/do personally take I-5 from here in Stockton (San Joaquin Valley) and would definately recommend over Hwy 99.

While there is no views (or anything else for that matter) along this route from Stockton to L.A., it does scoot along VERY well until you get into L.A. especially late night/early A.M. as there is usually little car traffic and the trucks stay in the left lane.

Besides, if you are headed through this area (99 or 5, I am between both) we can meet up for breakfast/lunch/dinner depending upon time you come through. Let me know when you have a game plan, I'll give ya my cell # should you wish to meet up or need any help.

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy

Me and Cindy are in Green Bud and Redwood country, in that order.

Reply to
Subic Sailor

"Musttanguy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m19.aol.com... | | >I wouldn't do it even to *save time* | >I-5 sucks.. and has THE worst traffic in >the world.. | | I would/do personally take I-5 from here in Stockton (San Joaquin Valley) and | would definately recommend over Hwy 99. | | While there is no views (or anything else for that matter) along this route | from Stockton to L.A., it does scoot along VERY well until you get into L.A. | especially late night/early A.M. as there is usually little car traffic and the | trucks stay in the left lane. | | Besides, if you are headed through this area (99 or 5, I am between both) we | can meet up for breakfast/lunch/dinner depending upon time you come through. | Let me know when you have a game plan, I'll give ya my cell # should you wish | to meet up or need any help. | Same deal here in Eureka Ca, Heart of the Humboldt Nation...

Reply to
Subic Sailor

Around 8/7/2003 11:22 AM, Subic Sailor spake thusly:

Hey guys, thanks for the offers, and sorry I haven't responded sooner; It's been a busy week.

I don't know if we've got time for stopping, but it looks like we're going through both your areas. We've planned on just jetting down I-5 the entire way south, and taking a slight detour on the way back north.

We'll be passing through Stockton both this Saturday (8/16) and a week from Thursday (8/21). We're spending the night of the 21st in Redding, and then taking CA-299 over to US-101 and up to Crescent City on Friday the 22nd.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Garth, I've missed this thread, but I gather you're heading down to Southern Cal. If that's the case, I'm down here and would love to meet up. I live in San Dimas, about 30min. from Di$neyland.

If you're staying down here, I can meet up wherever you're staying too.

Have a safe trip in any case.

Reply to
Victor DiMichina

If you get a few minutes to spare and need to stop and get gas, get off on Hammer lane. I will be about a mile to a mile and 1/2 down the road doing a fundraising car was for the daughters gymnastics and can meet up for a few minutes. If you have any problems PLEASE feel free to contact me should you need help, I will forward my cell phone # to you personally.

TIM -aka- snipped-for-privacy@AOL.COM

Musttanguy

Around 8/12/2003 10:38 AM, Victor DiMichina spake thusly:

That'd be cool. Our schedule is pretty tight, but I might get sick of Disney after a while. :)

I'll drop ya an e-mail with some more details if you like.

Thanks man!

PS: Do you guys have Union 76 gas down there? That's our only gas card... If not, oh well; That's what regular credit cards are for. ;)

Reply to
Garth Almgren

So, after one and a half days, you'll call me and we'll hook up for a beer! ;)

Do it! remove the _no_spam .....

They're all over the place. That's all we use. None of that MTBE crap for me, spank you very much! You should have no problem finding a 76.

Hopefully I'll talk to you soon. Former Modless Wonder convention in the making.

Reply to
Victor DiMichina

Cool..Tim's giving out free carwashes everyone!

BTW, those RAMFM stickers are terrrific Tim! Now if only my car ran..grr..tranny...grumble...mumble..grr..tranny..grr..clutch..grr..stupid AOD..grr.. !

Reply to
Matt

| > Same deal here in Eureka Ca, Heart of the Humboldt Nation... | >

| | Hey guys, thanks for the offers, and sorry I haven't responded sooner; | It's been a busy week. | | I don't know if we've got time for stopping, but it looks like we're | going through both your areas. We've planned on just jetting down I-5 | the entire way south, and taking a slight detour on the way back north. | | We'll be passing through Stockton both this Saturday (8/16) and a week | from Thursday (8/21). We're spending the night of the 21st in Redding, | and then taking CA-299 over to US-101 and up to Crescent City on Friday | the 22nd. | I'm one block over from the Humboldt County jail. If you come down US-101 you'll be within one block of my abode.

If you want to give me a call on the 22nd, we could meet. CA-299 is just down the road a few miles. Even if it's nothing more than a pit stop, it'd be cool to meet up. If anything I could at least escort you south a few miles. :)

Reply to
Subic Sailor