OT: Leather Steering Wheel Repair - Kate???

Hi People

I've got a leather steering wheel in my daily driver (european piece of crap) and its worn and 'fuzzy' where I hold it at the top of the wheel. Does anyone know how to remove the 'fuzziness'? Actual products and not brand names would be helpful as I'm not in the US. Don't you have some experience with leather Kate??

Thx in advance

Reply to
Elmo

Good Morning Elmo!

*sigh* well... here is what my experience has been with this sort of thing. When the leather is cured and finished, there is a type of coating that they apply to it to give it that smooth finish. With time this finish wears off, it can be your steering wheel, seats, even things like a belt, shoes, pocketbook ot jacket.

One of the places I would start for reliable ideas on this project would be a reputable boot repair shop or saddle shop. They may have something that will refinish the leather. Another source is Tandy Leather.

I have not used any of this sort of product they do have some things available via the internet. I'm just not sure what you can do with it once it has become rough. Maybe someone else in the group is a leather expert or has gone through this sort of thing.

Do let us know what you try, and if it works though!

Reply to
SVTKate

How about a quality leather wheel wrap.. just cover it with good leather. I'm using a "Wheelskin" wrap on my Stang for better feel.. its a quality piece. Doesnt cost a lot and is not hard to put on.. but does take a while to thread it.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

How about some very fine grit sandpaper, followed by saddle soap, followed by a good leather dye/polish?

A good pair of driv>Hi People

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I think that the sandpaper would just rough it up even more. Saddle soap will clean it, but will leave a residue that can become gooey whey sweaty palms are on the wheel.

The leather needs to be resealed. I just do not know how you would apply the finish that accomplishes this. Leather usually has two surfaces, the rough side and the smooth side. I don't know how they accomplish the smooth side at the tannery.

I agree with an earlier post, a good high quality leather wrap may be the simplest and cheapest soultion.

Reply to
SVTKate

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Uhhhhh.. like the 1200 and 1600 that we use to color sand cars at the body shop?

OK, now I am going to ahve to test your theory Spike. You know how I am. Send me your leather wheel will ya?

Oh yea! Old Stangs dont gots leather wheels.

Have to use Mike's!

Reply to
SVTKate

"SVTKate" wrote in news:7erpd.1434$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Try burnishing the leather. High speed tool and a felt wheel applied to the area that is fuzzy.

Reply to
Steel Pig

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

The leather went with the GTA... HA! Neener!; )

Actually, I have this stiff that's made of a synthetic material that feels smooth as paper, but is soft like cloth.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Thank You! I wondered what they use to accomplish this. Do you put anythin on the wheel while you do it? Maybe, if I said pretty please, you could be a bit more specific?

Reply to
SVTKate

I'll loan you a couple of diamond grit wheels from my Foredom....

Reply to
SVTKate

Spike gots a synthetic stiff?

*wink*

Kate

| >OK, now I am going to ahve to test your theory Spike. You know how I am. | >Send me your leather wheel will ya? | >

| >Oh yea! Old Stangs dont gots leather wheels. | >

| >Have to use Mike's! | | Hey! Spikey Likes IT! | 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok | Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior | Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" | w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Reply to
SVTKate

Huh... noooo

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

ROFL

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors

Reply to
<memset

Okay wait. Not to throw a wrench in the works, but if the offending spot is "fuzzy" are you sure this wrap is *real* leather?? I've never seen real leather get, umm, fuzzy, especially on a steering wheel where your greasy grimey hands are always rubbing it. Usually it gets slick smooth and cracks. Just a thought.... :-p

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Hey Hon... you KNOW how I am!

Reply to
SVTKate

C'mon Mikie! Someone has to be the guinea pig, and I know I AINT offering! So.......... I volunteered YOU! *WEG*

Reply to
SVTKate

"SVTKate" wrote in news:H1Epd.3609$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

When burnishing with a felt wheel use the largest diameter wheel at least half an inch in thickness and use just a bit of colored shoe polish as you go along. (Matching color of hard wax not cream)

Or you could use a soft wood stick or wheel to do the same thing without any other compounds.

Again make sure that this is real leather.

Cheap thin leather may not take too well to this process.

And a burning smell is ok. Flames are not OK

Reply to
Steel Pig