OT: NoOp's Latest "Hot Pick"

NoOp's latest Hot Pick is a band called "The Killers". Don't let their name fool you... their music could have come from early MTV archives and their live performance reminds me a little of Nirvana.

1)Go to MTV.com 2)Search for "The Killers" 3)Look at the list of their videos 4)Look for the live video of "All these things that I've done" It's an acoustic.

Also checkout the Killers' "Mr. Brightside" video. Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

So... if I say "Jerry and the Pacemakers", you're gonna say???? Anyone catch Clapton and Roger Waters the other night on the Tsunami concert? Anyone actually donated??

Reply to
Jim Warman

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 06:55:34 +0000, Jim Warman rearranged some electrons to form:

Dang.. I wanted to see them but I forgot about it until after the fact. They were supposed to do "Wish You Were Here".

Reply to
David M

I just bought The Killers' CD a week ago and took it back. If they're killing anyone it's with boredom. Just more mid-tempo soft rock. Don't kids-these-days know how to rock anymore?

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
one80out

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1106067878.061518.84190 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

they're

Check out Duality by Slipknot. Hey now.

Joe

Shuffleboard and old people...?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Really! 180, you never cease to amaze me.

What CDs have you held onto recently?

Urghhh... come on... track 5 alone was worth the cost of the CD.

I know this 42-year old kid does.

I just can't take a guy beating the shit out of a guitar, and with a tough-guy voice screaming in the mic.

Not a Killer fan... then how about the Kings Of Leon, The Black Keys, Lucero, Modest Mouse, Old Crow Medicine Show, The Strokes or The White Stripes?

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Close.... I was thinking multicarb engines on the showroom floor... the horsepower wars.... the NHRA fuel ban.... multi-engine dragsters.... casual sex without galoshes... and draft beer (real Canajun beer - not that witch piss you guys drink) for 10 cents a glass.

Where were you in '62??

Reply to
Jim Warman

I liked the Stonesour CD better than the new Slipnot, but I would take them over "the Killers". I can't stand whinner rock.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Well your CD colection is safe from me. lol

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1106108159.550670.241350 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Patrick, like you with cars, I'm not brand/band loyal. If it rocks, I like it regardless of who does it. Duality rocks. Seacrest out.

Joe

"MadDAWG" wrote in news:41ee740d$1 @news.mhogaming.com:

White Stripes suck. Seacrest out.

Joe

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:7noHd.7579$u_1.5667@edtnps91:

I was riding around (as a passenger, of course) in my Dad's '57 Merc. Awesome car.

Joe

Found "Mr. Brightside" but couldn't find "All These Things That I've Done"... can you get a link? The only other songs they had were "Smile Like You Mean It" and "Somebody Told Me". I didn't listen to them so maybe it's one of those and you had the name wrong.

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to
Hucklebuck

"Smile

Here you go, Hucklebuck. Great vocals, lyrics, just great music... it's a modern classic... turn it up, loud!

Scroll to the video for, and click on "All these things I've..."

Aftering watching this video, how can anyone say this young generation doesn't know how to rock?

Patrick '93 Cobra

archives

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1106274074.059093.163980 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

generation

"Oh Hi. I'm Ronnie, and... that's Brandon. We're from the Killers."

Patrick, you've GOT to be kidding. If this is representative of this "young generation's" rock music, please put a bullet in my head now. These guys absolutely __SUCK__.

The singer can't sing (he's flat more than he's on key) and the guitar player is one of the lamest guys I've ever heard. Even Allison Robertson from The Donnas kicks this guys ass big time. The bass player can't play more than about 10 notes, and the drummer is mediocre at best.

You want good, current rock? Listen to Hoobastank or Nickelback. The Killers is a great example of no-talent morons who shouldn't have ever gotten a recording contract.

Joe

Killers."

Joe, I never kidd about things like this.

please put >a bullet in my head now.

The punk sceen that reemerged a few years ago is now giving way to new influences. One of the influences is New Wave is making a comeback. Makes sense since the people coming in to power at the record companies grew up during the early days of MTV.

I call them refreshing. Gotta stay current.

guitar

I think they're regular guys playing great music without the help of masks, makeup, or a gimmic.

Hoobastank is very generic... typical popular radio fare. Nickelback was decent way back in '99 with their "The State" release. Since then they've become yet another sound-a-like band.

And you're one who doesn't like Jack White/White Stripes (Cold Mountain and Lorreta Lynn's latest), right?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1106341175.817606.110820 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

music...

companies

Whatever you want to call it, it's still horrible. I stand by my comment:

There's current good and current bad. The Killers are current bad.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but as a musician, I can tell you that these guys have absolutely no talent.

This tells me that you've never really listened to them (if you think the Killers are good, I really don't know _what_ you're listening to). They're lyrics and melodies are original, their musicianship is outstanding, and their production is fabulous. Each track on their latest CD is unique. They're just one great band.

Who do they sound like? Again, have you _listened_ to them? Their album 'The Long Road' is great. And they are actually musicians, unlike The Killers.

Mountain

Actually, I haven't heard it. But I like Loretta Lynn a lot. Jack White I can do without.

Patrick, you want more current and _good_? Listen to the new Greenday, or even the latest Incubus.

Joe

comeback.

Young kids throwing a band together... maybe not polished but that's okay with me. Like how college or even the high school sports are more enjoyable to watch than the pros.

Okay, we both know where each of us stand on these guys. I love 'em; you hate 'em.

Now how about the Black Keys, The Future Heads, Lucero, Modest Mouse or the Kings of Leon?

Rock and Roll is often more about creativity than pure talent. Case in point: David Lee Roth had absolutely no singing ability. But this didn't stop him from being the front man of one of the most popular bands of all time.

Talent can be good if they create something unique with it. From what I've heard from Hoobastank, there hasn't been anything there that make wants me to do anything more than use their stuff for background music.

They excited me back in '99, but their music has become pasturized. They could take one of their old CDs, slap a new title on it and no one would notice.

I'm not a country fan, but I bought her CD. It has a pleasent unrehearshed sound. It's good, very good.

Jack White is all about recording the song before it gets too polished. He does a couple run throughs and then it's recorded. Not this over and over again until it's "perfect", but by then the enthusiasm behind it is gone.

Yes, I like Green Day! Their music has always been very good and their new stuff is still good. Like to see them return to their roots with the next CD though. Incubus is good, but haven't listened to them in a while.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

One of my all time favs. American Idiot is awesome. Listened to it repeatedly on a 6 hour drive over Turkey-Day.

///Mike TS #63

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars - Newly updated
Reply to