OT: NoOp's Latest "Hot Pick"

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1106370338.422721.161380 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I've..."

music,

Nickelback.

polished.

OK, so let's agree to disagree overall. I listen to music both as a listener and a musician. It kills me (no pun intended) to no end to hear no-talents get record contracts while hundreds of deserving artists get no recognition at all.

I get your point about kids making music in their garage, but there's a line to be drawn as far as talent goes. Not everybody who picks up a guitar should be playing it, and not everyone who can talk should sing. I think The Killers are in that category.

Last question (ridiculous, but it makes a point): What's to separate guys like William Hung from The Killers? Sure, Hung's a joke at this point, but neither of them have any real talent.

Joe

Joe, I think with you being a musician you listen more for how well someone is able to hit the "highs and lows" to destinguish what is "good or bad." Nothing at all wrong with that... but in a way, it's _sort_ of like someone who loves opera but wouldn't stoop way down to listen to rock and roll. Opera is exact. Rock isn't always meant to be. Does that make sense?

Hung is not creative. He is simply trying to parrot, and doing a terrible job at it, other people's music.

The Killers are a young bunch of kids trying to give it a go... they may get better as they progress and learn, or they may die on the vine. Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1106425140.276799.205000 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Yes, but I don't think it applies here. Watching the video, the guy is obviously trying to sing the melody in the song's opening while he's playing the keyboard, but he's not hitting the notes at all. To me it's very apparent that he simply doesn't have the talent to accomplish what he's trying to do. Never mind that the song itself is pretty lame IMO.

there's

separate

Initially, he was serious in trying out for American Idol. That was my point.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that they'll fade away sometime this year. Individual members may resurface elsewhere, but I really don't think The Killers don't have what it takes to compete in today's music biz. OTOH, look at Ashlee Simpson... =:0

Joe

I was a huge fan of Green Day in high school. I loved Longview when it first came out on video (my first exposure to it), then a few weeks later, they played Basket Case on Letterman before the song ever hit the airwaves, and I knew they'd be big.

1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours was a good album - a bit rough, and with a less talented drummer, but they had promise.

Kerplunk was their first album with the new drummer. After a few good songs (including the original print of "Welcome to Paradise") they added a few cover songs which weren't the greatest.

Dookie was great, Insomniac pretty damn good, and Nimrod was good as well... had its highs and lows. I bought all of them. Warning, in my opinion, wasn't worth burning to a 10 cent CD-R. They strayed too far from their roots and their fan base started tuning out. I understand, we're all growing up now, but some of those songs were just miserable.

American Idiot I've not yet heard the whole way through. The title track is musically much closer to Insomniac, but the song itself has much more of a political slant than I ever imagined Green Day having. As a pick-it-up-once-in-a-blue-moon bassist, I'll say that this is probably the first fast-paced Green Day song I found easy to play - I don't know if Mike's slacking or if this is his break song. Lots of quiet time, and the only challenging thing is a pretty quick slide-hammer.

I'd like to hear the whole album after hearing you and Patrick saying it's pretty good...

JS

Reply to
JS