Picked up another tool this weekend

...and broke TFrog.

I had installed a new positive battery cable previously, but (after sitting for 3 weeks) TFrog wouldn't start the other day. Not even with a jump from CFrog.

Electronics came on, but turning the key gave me just a "click" and nothing.

Looking at the new cable, it seemed that it was making contact with another cable where it attached to the starter solenoid. So I thought I'd loosen a nut, separate the two cables a bit, and see what happened.

What happened was that I broke the starter solenoid.

Will I NEVER learn? I'm banned from picking up power tools in and around the house, but I need a big sign in the garage to remind me there, too. Oh, well, TFrog is 14 and probably could use a new solenoid, anyway...

Timing sucks. CFrog is due for its pre-winter polish and wax and a nice cozy bay in the garage. TFrog is the winter car. The new part should arrive Wednesday. Now... do I dare try to swap the parts myself?

dwight

Twin '93 frogs

Reply to
dwight

some of the after market starter soleniods are crap, I had one replaced, and it stopped about a month later, seems the internal ground wire for the coil was not bonded to the case/screw, but was just a bare wire that was ment to compress on to the grounded back case. So I replaced it with another from autozone, probably another crappy one, but its working.

Reply to
Mas Plak

And this is the reason I try to always stick to factory Ford replacement parts.

Reply to
NoOption5L

Yep. I went Motorcraft on this. I don't like to experiment with my cars.

Sure as hell LOOKS easy enough...

:()

Reply to
dwight

Dwight! Don't dooooooooo it!!!!!!! LOL Remember, if it ain't broke.... oh, wait.... it is broke! Oh, go ahead. Life is a gamble. Toss the dice. But I would stay away from power tools!

Here's hoping TFrog gets to motivating. Maybe it's a Zen thing. :0)

Reply to
Spike

It doesn't get much easier than that. Just remember where each wire goes, and do not over tighten the nuts...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Are you going to tell us about the tool?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I AM the tool.

Actually, all it took was a small monkey wrench, using leverage in the wrong direction. Broke a post right off that solenoid...

I'm lucky that the replacements are cheap.

duh-wight

dwight

My wife took the opportunity to tell me, yet again, that she doesn't like that car, that it always seems to be broken. Well, yes, it is 14 (going on

15), it does have over 200,000 miles, parts do fail every once in a while.

But, in this case, it wasn't the car's fault. And it sure does look GOOD... sitting broken in my garage.

Here's hoping that it gets out and about on Thursday.

:()

Reply to
dwight

Good thing they don't figure in dog years! :0) Heck my 65 has one or two little things that need fixing, but it's in better shape than I am, and there isn't that much difference in our ages. :0) LOL

Reply to
Spike

Yeh, what about the new toy.....er' tool?

Just bought a new tool. A torque wrench set from 10 inch pounds to 250 foot pounds. Two of them a clickers and the big one is digital.

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

So, is a power washer on your disallowed tool list?

Reply to
WindsorFox

Hmmmm... It's power. But it's not a tool.

And now that we've got the new patio and deck installed, those outer walls are lookin' a might dingy... Hmmmm.....

Of course, I'd need a high-powered leaf blower with that.

dwight

dwight

TFrog is out and running. Even I couldn't mess up replacing that solenoid.

First stop was the car wash.

:()

Reply to
dwight

Nowwwwwww you've done it! PETA will be after you now for using the term monkey in connection with a wrench. It's simply not PC in their eyes! And heaven forbid you should say "midget racer"!

Reply to
Spike

One word of advice, keep it away from the cars especially the wife's. We've a forum member from Northern England and he got a new power washer and proceeded to wash the paint off of parts of his car. The wife promptly removed his power washer privileges.

Reply to
WindsorFox

Oh that's an amazing change, it looks really good after. You did that all yourself, right?? :oP That's a nice looking rocket engine on the side of the house you have there. If hou ever get natural gas service you could use it as a nitrous bottle for T-Frog.

Reply to
WindsorFox

That's just about exactly what Jean wanted. My own little input was in having the steps come down perpendicular to the deck, instead of turning in on themselves like the original. It just opens things up.

With the winter approaching, I think I'll leave it where it is. That HUGE stinkin' tank feeds our fireplace. All that, just for the fireplace.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Interesting. *my* fireplace uses wood. :oP

Reply to
WindsorFox

Mine's a big space heater that "looks" like a fireplace. Trouble is, you don't get that infinite variety of flame that you do with wood. Gas jets are fairly... constant.

Sure does warm the room nicely, though....

:()

Reply to
dwight