Q: Best Stuff for Door/Trunk Seals?

I must be a moron, expect something different, or have strange=20 water because I could not make it work. I tried 3 times following the=20 instructions very explicately and still got beads that dried leaving=20 marks.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

No, you're not a moron. IMHO, this contraption is worse than useless.

Being the lazy s.o.b. that I am, I bought the thing, along with spare shampoo and filters, believing the hype that I'll never dry my car again.

All went OK up until the Autodry bit: a pathetic little spray came out, and rather than dispell the water already there with a sheeting action, I got millions of tiny beads that dried to millions of tiny spots.

Only rewashing and chamoising the old fashioned way actually cleaned my car. Maybe it's because I use Zaino polish (now THAT'S a great product!) that in some way produces a finish that Mr.Clean Autodry doesn't like, but I tossed the whole thing in the trash in disgust.

Reply to
Scudder

I think I see the problem....

If you had ended up with a gazillion tiny beads you wouldn't have been able to tell where one ended and the next began, so, in essence, there would have been one spot.... the whole vehicle. Thus the advertising hype would have be on the money. Soooo, it looks like they need to provide injector nozzles to accomodate sizes of vehicles, water pressure, etc, and they will have the perfect product.

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

That's what mine did and I tossed the box already so I really couldnont bring it back. The contraption is laying in the gravel outside where it landed last april or so when it fell off the brick wall...

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I've bveen using AutoDry since it came out it on my black truck and my Stang . Basically the shampoo is garbage. There is no way you can effectively wash the car wiohtout a towel.

So here's the best way to do it:

Wash the car like you normally do, with a bucket and regular water and regular car wash shampoo/soap.

The key is not to let that water dry, so you have to keep the truck wet with the filtered (deionized water) from the auto dry. You have to drench the whole car with that deionized water throroughly from top to bottom after you rinse off the car (with regular water). It dries crystal clear.

The only thing is that the special filter is only good for 2-3 good washes then stops working and the filters are about $6 bucks each. It;s worht it for me because I really hate drying my cars, washing isn't a big deal.

Reply to
Frank

I've been using the product for the last several months with good results. A couple of things to keep in mind. The filter has to remain wet, that is if the filters seal has been popped or removed it will dry out and become useless. I use a little amount, and ounce or two in a bucket of water, I rinse the car down with regular water, next I twist the knob and soap down a section at a time and use my sponge and soapy water and wash the section, rinse with regular water, after the entire car is washed, I use the filtered water and rinse the whole car and put it out of direct sun light. After an hour she is compltely clean with no hand drying.

Reply to
Mr. Ford

If you fail to get ALL the dirt off during the wash and soap routines then you will have problems. I have found the AUTODRY to work fine so long as I am careful - miss a spot and you get problems.

It's fast, its effective, but that doesn't mean you do not have to be careful!

Reply to
ROBBCWZ

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ROBBCWZ) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m15.aol.com:

I've used the California Water Blade for years - works great. No spots, streaks, etc. Contrary to popular belief, it does not scratch the finish.

Joe

at 22 Aug 2004, Joe [ snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Same here, first using a waterblade clone and then finishing up with the 'Absorber' shammy cloth. Great results using with Zymol car washing liquid. I have a whole house water filter that produces nice soft water. Which is what I use to wash and rinse the car before drying.

Reply to
Paul

What I did was washed the car as usual, then "washed" it again with the special soap and rinsed it as per the instructions. So the car was clean before I started with the contrption, pretty much as you are saying. I still got beads and spots. Besides at $6 each for 3 washes, I don't thing the synthetic chammy I have is too much trouble.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

That is what I just bought. I use that then finish with the chammy.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

What do you have? I think I need to consider one of these since my move out of the city limits we seem to have some mud in the water around here...

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

No shit! THis thing may work but it's a ripoff at 6 bucks for 3 washes. Hell, I'd rather spend 50.00 on a leaf blower.

///Mike

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

Yup... this thing is like ink jet printers -- sell the gadget cheap, and hit 'em up on the refills. Unfortunately for me, at least, it didn't work.

Reply to
Scudder

Like Chris Rock says: "There ain't no money in the cure! The money's in the medicine!" "It's in the comeback!"

///Mike

1993 BMW 525i
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

ROFL!! Mr. Clean Autodry.... the ink jet printer of the automotive world!

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I use it as well. Was a bit pricey @ $10 I thought... but worth it.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires

Reply to
<memset

You let it dry up first. You need to make sure the car is WET form the original rinse that rinsed off the soap. THEN switch to the filtered rinse as soon as possible, replacing the non-filtered water with the filtered water. I was sceptical also, but it did work for me.

Rein

at 22 Aug 2004, WindsorFox[SS] [ snipped-for-privacy@SPAMcox.net] wrote in news:K%4Wc.3607$A91.3125@okepread02:

I went whole hog and got a Kinetco system. They are about $3000, use dual tanks so when one is cleaning, the other one is operational. Also it uses no electricity and very little salt. What I like about this system is that it will clean itself based on how many gallons of water it has done, not on a set 'once a week' or 'every 3 day' schedule regardless of how much water has been used. I maybe go through a bag, bag and a half (40lbs bags) of salt a year and I use between 2200 to

3000 gallons a month.
Reply to
Paul

I don't want to beat this subject to death, but after my bad experience with Mr.Clean Autodry, I emailed the company telling them that I found it didn't work and I got an pleasant reply.

It seems that my suspicion that this might have something to do with Zaino car polish may be true. In Autodry's response they say:

"Silicone-based (Rain-X?) window treatments or high-end car finishes or polishes might also affect Mr. Clean AutoDry's spot-free performance."

So, although it may work for others, maybe me using Zaino was the cause.

I'll never give up Zaino, so I'm back to the bucket, hose and the chamois.

Reply to
Scudder