Tie Rod Ends

So I just got a good deal on 8 tie rod ends for my project. The new parts are TRW Federal Mogul 11-ES-0212's & 0213's (cross to mid-60's Mercedes). The problem is that these parts don't have any Zerk fittings, not even a threaded hole for adding one!

Can I drill into the flat cover above the ball, tap the metal, and add a new Zerk grease fitting?

Also, the parts came with a dome-shaped black plastic cover that slips over the flexible ball-joint rubber doughnut. The flexible doughnut is tightly held to the tie rod end body and to the ball shaft with a pair of very string wire springs. When I flex this doughnut, it sure feels like there's absolutely no grease inside.

When I install the part, is that loose rubber cover supposed to stay on the tapered threaded rod as I slip it into the female tapered hole?

No Zerks, and no easy provision to add them; what's the world coming to?

Ed

Reply to
Ed Price

|So I just got a good deal on 8 tie rod ends for my project. The new parts |are TRW Federal Mogul 11-ES-0212's & 0213's (cross to mid-60's Mercedes). |The problem is that these parts don't have any Zerk fittings, not even a |threaded hole for adding one! | |Can I drill into the flat cover above the ball, tap the metal, and add a new |Zerk grease fitting?

I'd avoid that. You stand a good chance of introducing a chip or two when you dril. The zerks are pretty much self-tapping. Most joints are now "lubed for life" and they seem to last. I'd leave it alone.

| |When I install the part, is that loose rubber cover supposed to stay on the |tapered threaded rod as I slip it into the female tapered hole?

Yes, it's a dust cover.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

I thought about that idea of drilling and adding a fitting too. I mentioned it to someone involved in manufacturing them and he said there was no place to successfully add a fitting and grease it. When I find an extra one lying around I'm still going to experiment with it.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

the world is coming to this:

no maintenance means it's impossible to fix, so if it goes bad, you have to replace it. tie rod ends are built much better than they used to, just don't forget that dust boot!

Reply to
MudPuppy