Re: 1996 4.6 cold air induction?

I'm buying a 1996 mustang with a 4.6 and 5 speed. I should have it by tuesday.

> So far this car has been modified by installing a MSD ignition system, a borla > exhaust system with an H pipe. It has a K an N filter installed also. I see > alot of mustangs around with cold air induction installed on it? i"ve seen the > kit go for anywhere from $60 to $260 depending on how nice you want it to look. > How much HP or gasmileage difference am i going to see? You can email me at > snipped-for-privacy@aol.com or just post your reply here.

Don't bother. It's a waste of money. The stock system is cold air induction. Two biggest bang for the buck things you can do are a timing adjuster

and a new ring and pinion (3.73:1 or 4.10:1). Also, you'll want a new shifter - either Steeda's TriAx, the Pro5.0, or Hurst.

Reply to
Keith

well i forgot to mention it has a shorty shifter, the guy said it was hurst, but to be honest with you i don't know anyting baout shorty shifters, besides the fact that its real close shifting. So would that be suitable instead of stock? How involved is installing a timing adjustor or a ring and pinoion?

Reply to
President89

Hurst is good. Other than short throws, which is nice, they have adjustable stops built in to prevent over-extending the shift forks when slamming through the gears. The timing adjsuter is a pretty simple install. Pull the brank bolt, put the adjuster wheel in place in the crank pulley, and install the supplied bolt. Move the sensor to the supplied bracket and go. They're good for more torque with an advance of 14-16°. You'd want someone else to install the gears. It takes experience to do them right, and it is a little more involved.

Reply to
Keith