Re: Foreign buyer doesn't want to see car?!!?!?

I'll buy your car if i can make payments on it ;-)

Carl

explanation

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Elmer Fudd once said, "Be afwaid, be vewy afwaid...". Tell hm that the only way this deal will fly is if you are dealing in coin of the realm...... YOUR realm.

Seems like it can take a long, long time for cheques to clear third world banks (where most of these deals seem to originate) and you will find that your bank isn't afraid of charging you back for any oversights...

Hey folks, >
Reply to
Jim Warman
** Now...I'm really anxious to sell my car, but I gotta wonder what kind of ** person buys a car sight unseen? Especially a 1996 GT. LOL! Obviously the guy ** has money, why my car?

The kind with the rubber cashier's check. It will look legitimate; even your bank will not be able to tell for 4-6 weeks that it is fake. They will never pick up the car; they will just pocket the cash and begone without a trace.

This is a Classic Scam. Don't fall for it. Accept only cash, period.

Oh and yes, when that big check bounces, guess what happens? You won't be able to cover the loss, and the local DA will get a bench warrant for your arrest. The charge: fraud. Good luck with your defense.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

The fact that he wants to give you a check for more than the sale price is a dead giveaway. SCAM

Mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

Can you say: "FRAUD"?

Sure you can!

LOL

It's the biggest scam going lately.

It's on the news almost nightly, that some poor fool fell for it and lost their life's savings.

Refinish King

explanation

Reply to
Refinish King

YES!

Watch the news.

LOL

Refinish King

PS

International cashier's checks can take up to 21 business days to clear, I restore cars from England and Italy. When the repair order gets 20 hours on the time clock. They pay, or I charge them storage till they do pay, or in thirty days I sue their asses. No ones screws me!

Reply to
Refinish King

Go to

and I think they will still have the article up about this scam. Also, I think
had it posted as well.

And don't fall for the one where the Minister of Whatever wants you to help him recover millions from oil company bonds or some such, and all you have to do is provide a checking account number where her can transfer the funds to in exchange for a large percentage reward for helping. Anything from Nigeria is suspect!

Also, the one about the US troops who found Sadam's money and need help to get it out of the country....

V'ger

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

Cindy, Take his advise SERIOUSLY. You may have already given more to this guy than ....? Nothing for nothing. Greed is the bate of the crooks!

-- _______________________________________ "The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: The chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'."

Reply to
Just Me "Koi"

I'm aware of the Nigerian schemes. But I have never seen the one I could have fallen prey to today. This is pretty scary stuff. I can only imagine all the elderly people who may fall for this trap. :-( Disgusting!

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Well I didn't give him my bank account number or my branch if that's what you are asking? lol

I just told them the car sold already and to go away.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

Oh well, back to the sale grind.

Cindy

Like buying a used car without a test drive or mechanical inspection! I'm glad to see the "DUMB BLONDE" mode is off.

Dick

Reply to
winze

Dick,

What did you think? Despite popular belief, I am not that stupid.

Cindy

Reply to
Cindy

It takes a long time even for stateside checks to finally clear. My neighbor almost got scammed this way (what an idiot). The check from a private buyer (the scammer) to a private seller (the idiot) was a Delta Airlines!! check (he didnt think that was suspicious). It still took 2 weeks before the bank discovered it was worthless. Thats 2 weeks AFTER they gave him $14000 cash on it.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

One of the things I noticed was the wrong merchandise listed in his reply: "and I do really appreciated your explanation over condition of this handmade Shamray Tele and am okay with the price"

I've never heard of a mustang refered to as a tele. Thanks for giving otheres the heads up.

Reply to
Dan

Rein

I'd be reluctant to give the guy _any_ more info (such as an address).

Even if she got him to mail the check to a PO Box or something more anonymous than her home address, sounds like he's in a different country (like scammer friendly Nigeria), so there's nothing anyone could do about it anyway.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Thanks for bringing this to ligh ,I must lead a sheltered life as I hadn't heard of this. I have a neighbor with a pretty clean older Jag for sale which was placed online. While reading everything I thought to my self this sounds REAL familiar, he mentioned someone out of the country was interested in it so I had a long talk with him this morning and straightened him out as to the scam.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Cindy (and everybody) Interesting article:

Internet auction 'buyers' scamming sellers

By Jo Dee Black Tribune Staff Writer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- When Marcia Shanahan put her 4-year-old quarter horse gelding, Theo, for sale on the Internet last month, she hoped to get $4,000. Instead, she lost $7,500 of her own money, bilked by a scam artist using counterfeit cashier's checks.

"I feel so vulnerable, I want other people to be warned about this," Shanahan said. "People think cashier's check are as good as cash, but they are not."

Authorities say con artists are using fake cashier's checks to get Americans to wire thousands of dollars to foreign accounts. Once the money is out of the country, it's lost for good.

"This is out of control, I've been working on these types of cases since December 2002," said Dave Hardt, a Great Falls-based special agent for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, who investigates such cases. "The schemes are getting better and better."

Scammers target people selling big-ticket items, such as cars, horses or boats, on the Internet. There are various versions of the dirty deal, but basically the "buyers" say they are from out of the country and will send a cashier's check.

When the check comes, it's for thousands more than the asking price of the item for sale. The "buyer" says to avoid hassles, the seller should wire the extra funds to their offshore bank account.

Days later the seller's bank finds out the original cashier's check is fake. Wired money is lost.

In Shanahan's case, her "buyer" told her to wire fees to an agent in the Netherlands who would ship the horse. Their only communications were through e-mail.

Her bank, Wells Fargo, accepted the original $8,000 cashier's check for deposit on Feb. 14. She made a wire transfer to the "buyer" for $4,500 for the shipping fee.

The "buyer" then e-mailed her with a story about an unexpected financial problem. He said he needed Shanahan to wire $3,000 more to the shipping agent and that he would mail her another cashier's check.

Since she still had the horse and believed the "buyer's" original check was good, she made two more wire transfers.

On Feb. 26 Shanahan received a letter from Wells Fargo informing her that the check was fake and that $8,000 had been withdrawn from her account.

Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

True scam - buyer is playing the fact that the check will show as money to your account in a few days as banks will often do when you deposit a certified check, but knows it will not fully clear for 14-21 days. He knows the check will come back bad in about two- three weeks and the bank will deduct that amount from your acct. In the meantime you sent the guy your car and money via western union and both are gone. E-mail the guy and tell him to send you via Western Union a wire transfer for $9000. and you will send him a check back for the difference with the car. Bet you never hear from him again.

Reply to
Buc4evr