Re: Police interceptor fact or fiction?

As far as I can determine Ford does not offer a Police Interceptor Mustang. See

Regards,

Ed White

Jarrod wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Gagan,

I think you are right. The Ford Police Interceptor Bochure

) neveractually shows the rear end of the car, but they do mention, that if you orderthe "street appearance package" you get a Crown Victoria Emblem. Otherwise, thebrochure refers to the Police Interceptor, not the "Crown Victoria PoliceInterceptor" as was done in prior years. This leads me to believe that thePolice Interceptor badge is the standard item. And if you believe people sellingon EBAY -
is also a picture of the rear of the Ford Police Interceptor at
it is hard to be sure about the badge on the rear. I think it is a policeinterceptor badge.

Regards,

Ed White

"Gagan (mwarrior)" wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

everyone wants to prove that you can buy the badges anywhere. so what, we all know that. the link that i posted showed the car, with someone from the force showing off his car. i have seen mustang squad cars in person. enough about the badges.

Reply to
Jarrod

Prior to 2000 Police Interceptor Crown Vics where known as P71s (VIN Designation) Starting in 2000, Ford designated P71 Crown Victorias as Police Interceptors. This is also when Ford began installing the "Police Interceptor" emblem to the rear deck.

P71/72/73/74 - These numbers are parts of a late-model Crown Victoria's Vehicle Identification Number or VIN. The "P" identifies that the car is a passenger car. For all 1993 and older cars, the 71 indicates a police-package. For 1987 to 1992 cars, a 72 indicates a police package. On

1993 and later cars, a 72 indicates a Fleet vehicle (usually taxis.) A 73 indicates a baseline Crown Victoria sedan, and a 74 indicates a luxury Crown Victoria LX sedan. So when you hear someone saying that they own a P71, or a P73, you'll know what they're talking about.

LTDs, Crown Victorias, and Police Interceptors. In the old days, there were LTD Crown Victorias and just plain LTDs. In about 1992, Ford did away with the LTD name and all the cars were called Crown Victorias. In 2000, Ford changed the name of P71 Crown Victorias to "Police Interceptor", and only civilian cars are still called Crown Victorias. However, since the term Police Interceptor has gained wide use through the years to identify any Ford police-package car, you may hear this term used to various models and years of Fords.

-ERIC

93 P71 Crown Vic

Reply to
Katmandu

There problem here is that their are two different things being talked about as if they are one and the same.

ANY car can be a police car. A basic working definition of a "police car" would be any car used for law enforcement and that is equipped with appropriate equipment to effect a traffic stop, i.e., some form of "lights and siren" type equipment.

That's completely separate from cars that are ordered from the factory with a box on the order form checked for the "police package", which typically includes such things as single key, extra interior light, rubber floor mats, heavier frame, heavy duty suspension, different axle ratio, different steering ratio, radio wiring conduit, higher output alternator, heavy duty cooling, heavy duty bucket seats, etc, etc, etc.

What the orig>everyone wants to prove that you can buy the badges anywhere. so what, we

----------------- Jim '88 LX 5.0 (now in car heaven) '89 LX 5.0 vert '99 GT 35th Anniversery Edition - Silver Mods to date - Relocated trunk release to drivers side, shortened throttle cable.

Reply to
AZGuy

Interceptor", and only

If you are correct, then the Oregon State Police, the local police departments and the sherrif's departments are all buying "civilian" cars.

Reply to
Blue Gator

Go look at one up close and see if you see any emblems that say Crown Victoria on them. (This is for 2000+ P71s only).

I'll save you the time....... You won't find any.

You will however see the Police Interceptor emblem.

-ERIC

93 P71

enforcement"

Reply to
Katmandu

Go to this link

scroll down to the "Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Street Appearance" option and tell us what the fifth bullet says. How 'bout ""Crown Victoria" Badge". This applies to the 2004 model and not necessarily to earlier models, but I have seen many police cars, including the brand new city cars put in service this spring, with the Crown Vic badge on the trunk. And they're all newer than 2000.

Reply to
Blue Gator

Ok Blue. You got me. :rolleyes: I forgot about the SAP (Street Appearance Package).

Go find a "Crown Victoria" badge on ANY other 2000+ "P71" (NOT SAP equipped!).

I stand by what I said earlier. There are none.

Katmandu

How about Opp...

Reply to
Mike King

was that to the part you quoted? Or were you asking if the OPP drives their own cars? And if thats the question, they dont.... From what I've seen anyways. A couple of OPP detatchments have a '01 or '02 GT Coupe thats been donated though (hence the dealership markings alongside the OPP ones). Gagan

Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)

I was making a joke about Opp, Alabama. It's on the border of Florida, north of Ft. Walton Beach and Crestview, where FL 85 becomes AL 55. Last time I drove through there, back in '94, it was still a one stoplight town.

Reply to
Mike King

Woop :)

Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 19:14:41 -0400, "Mike King" wrote something wonderfully witty:

Used to go through it all the time on the way to Atlanta. I actually think they got a Barney & an Opey.

Reply to
ZombyWoof