Re: Why do all the ricers love the Honda Civic?

Yeah those boy racer-mobiles are a killer on the insurance. You can almost hear them say: "ah, here we have another sucker".:-) They must rub their hands in delight every time that damned WRX commercial comes on where the two jerks are smugly pretending they know how to drive.

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald

Now we're getting to the crux. The Corvette is "horribly overpowered". The Nova is overpowered.

For you.

I've never had a car that went faster than I told it to. I'll bet if you tried real hard you could get that Corvette to tool around at 25mph - nice and civilized.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Sure I have biases, but unlike you, I like both the Corvette and the WRX/WRX STi. Neither are perfect, but both are damn good.

So why then, if you can't predict the future, would you write 'it _always_ will be a horribly overpowered supercrap plastic car'? Do you have a time machine, perhaps?

To say it is only a start.

"...on ice"... a diesel Chevette could be considered overpowered on ice.

No it wasn't. It was undersuspensioned.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Then again, it could be that he likes several cars, can appreciate what the Corvette offers, though it may not be for him, and is even tolerant of others and their preferences.

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald

This demonstrates nothing, other than your bizarre need to think you're better than me because you like Corvettes.

Of course not, it's an opinion based on '56 thru the present, not a prediction.

Don't go all JP Sartre on us here. ;)

My point exactly, the claim was that there's no such thing as overpowered. I'm pointing out the fallacy in such a broad statement.

No, it was overpowered.

Reply to
Vince McGowan

The same could be said of me, too, George.

Reply to
Vince McGowan

Vince McGowan wrote in news:GBswc.6139$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

Vince, you're a freakin' wuss to think that a car could be "overpowered". For the most part, we over here in RAMFM (at least some of us) like powerful cars with a lot of torque and we like to drive them. What do you guys do over in the Honda and VW Aircooled group do?

Joe

..............Because of our superior intellect, us aircooled VW owners spend most of our free time calculating how fast those freaking hondas and fords are depreciating in relationship to the cost of simply trading up to a real car...............lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

They get out their bicycles when they feel the need for speed.

Reply to
Mark Jones

...well at the aircooled VW group we ,mostly laugh about killing the junk fords and honda's light to light. =-) Right now aircooled VW record stands at 6.70 @ 202.25 MPH quarter-mile ....just what are your

4 cylinder engines doing??? hmmmmn????? Remember this is 1930 design technology running these numbers,,,,so....whats yer 4 cylinders doing? BTW we have plenty of 12 second and faster street cars prowling around as well...(unfortunately not owned by me at present...)

...=-)

....Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

You're "MUSTANG" fans??? Say no more.

I'm with the Honda group.

We discuss current events over tea & watercress sandwiches (no crusts!) every afternoon at 4:00

Reply to
Vince McGowan

Hondas depreciating? What are you guys smoking?

Reply to
Vince McGowan

Have you ever followed a non-catalyst car since oxygenated fuels?..... PE-E-E-W-W!

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald

Gary Tateosian wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Lemmie guess - they've all got Porsche engines in them.. ;)

Joe

Vince McGowan wrote in news:Kqywc.6673$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

Simply delightful! Maybe we should start including AHPBBFM in the cross-posting...

Joe

Well, that's an ignorant reply. If there were a following for the

2.3 Ford with OHC and the separarte spark packs with 2 plugs per cylinder, along with the engineers and mechanics working and companies making aftermarket parts I'm sure it would have the same performance as the VW engine. A particular engine does not suddenly sprout tweakability, it has to be cultured by the people who buy them. Ten years ago hot rodding a Civic was a total joke. Now there are parts and tweaks that actually work because there is a following of pepople to use those parts. If there had never been anyone interested in hot rodding a VW, you would still be puttering along like it did in the 50s.
Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Yes, perhapse that poster should read the notes on owner reported reliability for VW of late. I looked at one when I bought my new car recently, but avoided it because of problems I've read about. Of course since then some problems have come out about what I bought, so I guess there's no avoiding it.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

130 dynoed horsepower were extracted from a 1300cc beetle race engine 30 years ago in my country, when virtually *no* aftermarket parts were available. Source bigger carbs from some other car, bigger pistons and jugs from some other car (there were plenty of aircooled engines out there 30 years ago), and cranks were easily welded and reground for longer strokle (Like they are today, only today you have a choice of buying one that was factory made and more reliable).

Basically you can take ANY engine and tweak it for (considerably) more power, if you just know what you are doing. It's rather simple even, the basics haven't changed in 30 years time. What you see in the mags is "cool" aftermarket items that have little to do with true engine power modification. Just little helpers.

If some engine isn't BEING tweaked by the masses, it only means that there is no interest towards it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

................I've owned a few Hondas and expect that they're not the last ones that I'll own. By modern day standards, they're some of the best cars made, in my opinion.

............As for VW reliability, you should reflect for a minute on what era is likely to be 'aircooled'. My driver is fairly new at the age of 27 years. If someone gave me a stinking Jetta, I'd sell it and use whatever it got on some work that's coming up later this year on my bug.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 14:57:14 -0500, "WindsorFox[SS]" ran around screaming and yelling:

well, thats an ignorant reply....

....lots of go fast goodies for the ford2.3 and german 2.0 engine... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani