Rear Shoulder Belt Retrofit - 1989 LX Convertible

I'm SO eager to buy a particular '89 LX 5.0 convertible, but '89 Mustangs didn't have rear shoulder belts, which are a requirement before I'll put my children in the back seat. Does anyone have any experience installing (or finding a shop to install) retrofit shoulder belts in a convertible? Thanks in advance! - Jack

Reply to
Gecko

Jack,

I've pulled many 89 Convertibles apart and I can tell you with all honesty that you'd end up with something which is probably less safe after the modification than before. These models just don't have anything in that area designed to withstand or absorb the potential impact loads associated with a collision for shoulder harnesses to mount to. I think it would be very hard, if not impossible, to find a reputable shop that would do this modification. Especially due to any liability issues it would drop in thier (and thier insurance company's) lap. We're talking MASSIVE potential liability issues.

Reply to
Jimz466

Thanks. My backup plan is to use one of the two or three child seats that can be used with just a lap belt. That should work for a few years anyway. I've heard from at least one hobbyist who's installed rear shoulder belts from a '90-'93 into an '89. As for liability, you're absolutely right - no shop wants to do it. - Jack

Reply to
Gecko